Another stupid question about Saw Palmetto!

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry folks, but I need to ask this. Are there any known side effects from long term low dosage of Saw Palmetto? I am planning to take one daily capsule of Holland and Barrett Saw Palmetto extract (the recommended daily dosage is three capsules) for one year.

As I suffer from occasional mild impotence I wonder if that can make things worse.

Thank you

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Very much doubt it. - Not sure it will do a lot for your hair either though.

Many herbal 'remedies' for impotence (Like those natural supplements for it you see on the net) actually contain Saw Palmetto.

rider88

Reaction score
Hey its nice to see another person with the same exact thoughts as me. My dr wrote me a script for propecia but I really can't afford the cost and can't accept the side affects it causes.

I just started taking saw palmetto, biotin, a b-complex vitamin, and grape seed extract. I'm going to do this every day for the next 6 months or so and hope for the best.

How many mg's is your SP pill? How did you decide to take this route?

I didn't think guys who were balding could experience impotence ... b/c we have an abundance of testosterone and dht that it affects our hair. I've always been ready to go for seconds but my gf never wants to. I almost think that it would be healthy for me to take hit in that area personally. But I guess everyone's different.

Good luck and hopefully we'll both make some progress naturally.

Tdevil

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard a few people complain of sexual sides from sp. That, plus it didn't do anything for their hair.

CCS

Reaction score
vauxall said:
Sorry folks, but I need to ask this. Are there any known side effects from long term low dosage of Saw Palmetto? I am planning to take one daily capsule of Holland and Barrett Saw Palmetto extract (the recommended daily dosage is three capsules) for one year.

As I suffer from occasional mild impotence I wonder if that can make things worse.

Thank you

It only works internally as an androgen recepter blocker, like oral spironolactone, except the side effects would be much different. I don't know how powerful each dose is, but obviously if you go low enough you might not get side effects. I bet if you take enough to save your hair, or even help it, you are probably taking enough to keep your muscles from rebuilding.

Your muscles don't use DHT to grow. They use testosterone. Finasteride does not slow muscle growth. Androgen receptor blockers like spironolactone, flutamide, and SP do in high enough doses.

Internally, the active ingredient is beta sis. Externally, some of the free fatty acids come into play too. But Micheal Barry tested it on his wrist and found such profound hair reduction, even after stopping, that he thinks beta sis does more than just inhibit androgen receptors. It might be hard on hair in general, like the opposite of minoxidil or something. Same is suspected of peppermint.

If you are looking for a natural treatment, put diluted lavender essential oil on your head. I don't know how strong it is, but it should help and should not hurt.

ztygr

Reaction score
CCS said:
I bet if you take enough to save your hair, or even help it, you are probably taking enough to keep your muscles from rebuilding.

Your muscles don't use DHT to grow. They use testosterone. Finasteride does not slow muscle growth. Androgen receptor blockers like spironolactone, flutamide, and SP do in high enough doses.

CCS: I'm confused, but I'm new, so please be patient... If testosterone builds muscle, and 5-alpha-R inhibitors (like saw palmetto) prevent testosterone from being converted into DHT and estrogen, how is it that 5-alpha-R inhibitors prevent muscle from rebuilding?