Any Diffuse, Retrograde Thinners Have A Successful Transplant?

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

After reading this forum for a while, I've seen it said multiple times that diffuse thinners are poor transplant candidates for various reasons. I am a diffuse thinner who also seems to have retrograde alopecia, which is when the sides and nape of neck also thin out. I do have a small donor area which thus far seems to be immune to thinning, but I have a huge vertex bald spot that's ~80% bald, and the nape of my neck and sides are thinning, as I mentioned.

Given this, I was wondering if there are any folks here who have this same type of diffuse, retrograde alopecia yet have had a successful transplant with a good aesthetic result. To be clear, I do also have recession and miniaturization, so I would be looking to lower my hairline a bit in the front and corner areas. I'm wondering if that's even feasible given my type of balding. Any anecdotes and experiences - both positive and negative - are appreciated. Or even if you could share any info gleaned from consultations with transplant surgeons. Thanks.

Last edited:

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
Do you have DPA or DUPA? Plenty of people with DPA have had successful transplants. The areas that retrograde alopecia touches are frequently not thought to be a part of the safe zone anyway. Most likely the more important factor is what Norwood class your diffusion is taking on.

I am a diffuse thinner and the surgeon i consulted with didnt seem concerned, though ive had no transplant yet. Google diffuse transplant or look it up on YouTube and you will see some successes.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have DPA or DUPA? Plenty of people with DPA have had successful transplants. The areas that retrograde alopecia touches are frequently not thought to be a part of the safe zone anyway. Most likely the more important factor is what Norwood class your diffusion is taking on.

I am a diffuse thinner and the surgeon i consulted with didnt seem concerned, though ive had no transplant yet. Google diffuse transplant or look it up on YouTube and you will see some successes.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know whether I have DPA or DUPA - can a dermatologist or transplant surgeon determine that by examination, or is something like a biopsy or other technique needed? Ditto for how they would go about determining one's eventual Norwood class. Currently my temple recession is between a NW2.5-3.0, and I have a huge swathe of vertex that is 80+% or more bald.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don't know whether I have DPA or DUPA - can a dermatologist or transplant surgeon determine that by examination, or is something like a biopsy or other technique needed? Ditto for how they would go about determining one's eventual Norwood class. Currently my temple recession is between a NW2.5-3.0, and I have a huge swathe of vertex that is 80+% or more bald.

Does anyone know the answers to the questions above? Or can anyone who has diffuse, retrograde thinning share their transplant experiences or what they've heard from consultations? Thanks.