Any other finasteride long-timers out there?

drinkrum

Reaction score
I'm 22 and have been using finasteride for more than 4 years. Any other people out there who have been using the drug for just as long or more?

If so, how are your results? Side effects, if any? Etc.

D.

G

Well drinkrum, i'm not a veteran fina user but i would like to know your results and side effects, if any? etc. Are you still above baseline? Also, what norwood are you and can people see if you are thinning or are do you still have pretty good density? BTW scottp999 has been on proscar for 5 years or somthing like that.

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Been on i sice FDA approved in '99....definately maintained. Have I regrown....tough to say, I would say no to a very thin crown and frontal now is really taking a beating.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Thinning Sucks --

You say you've maintained but now you're experiencing a thinning crown and frontal loss? Which one is it? Based on the 5-year Propecia results, most people (90%) maintained or improved hair density from baseline after 5 years on finasteride. That includes the front.

As for me, badasshairday, it's a coin flip. I've been on finasteride for so long, I can't really remember sex before it but I can say it's not the same anymore. Similarly, I don't know if some other things are attributable to finasteride (weight gain, etc.) or not since I can't really remember my pre-finasteride days. I bet a lot this happened to a lot of people who continued using finasteride after the first couple of years -- they "forgot" about their side effects. It all tends to blend together after a while.

My hair: No one knows I'm taking finasteride and I don't think anyone thinks that I'm thinning. I, myself, don't even know anymore. Some days I think my front is thinning but I can't remember how it was when I first started treatment. Again, the blurring of things. Sort of a catch-22. I have a couple of options: 1. Go off finasteride and both the side effects and positive hair effects would be made clear; or 2. Stay the course. At this point, I'm gonna pick the latter.

D.

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
drinkrum said:
Thinning Sucks --

You say you've maintained but now you're experiencing a thinning crown and frontal loss? Which one is it? Based on the 5-year Propecia results, most people (90%) maintained or improved hair density from baseline after 5 years on finasteride. That includes the front.

As for me, badasshairday, it's a coin flip. I've been on finasteride for so long, I can't really remember sex before it but I can say it's not the same anymore. Similarly, I don't know if some other things are attributable to finasteride (weight gain, etc.) or not since I can't really remember my pre-finasteride days. I bet a lot this happened to a lot of people who continued using finasteride after the first couple of years -- they "forgot" about their side effects. It all tends to blend together after a while.

My hair: No one knows I'm taking finasteride and I don't think anyone thinks that I'm thinning. I, myself, don't even know anymore. Some days I think my front is thinning but I can't remember how it was when I first started treatment. Again, the blurring of things. Sort of a catch-22. I have a couple of options: 1. Go off finasteride and both the side effects and positive hair effects would be made clear; or 2. Stay the course. At this point, I'm gonna pick the latter.

D.

Front is slowly getting worse....crown was thin in '99 and getting worse/maintaining. I do not think I responded very well in 5 years. Mid scap is thicker it seems but still very diffuse all over. This is with minoxidil since 1985 off and on.

skullet

Reaction score
I've been on since Jan 2002 and have not had any side effects. My sex life is the same and people talk about muscle loss etc, but mine has actually improved -- NOT through the finasteride of course, but my work out routines/diet.

As for regrowing hair, I'd have to say probably not, but the hair I do have looks alot better when styled as I can see in before and after pics.
My hair count is around teh same I'd guess. I get comments all the time from friends of mine who were balding with me like "I thought you'd be bald by now" or "Your hairloss just stopped..." So that makes me feel good about it. I'll stay with it until I decide to have kids, then I'll go off for about 6 months prior. I'm 29.

Hope that helps.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
you dont need to go off finasteride for 6 months before you have a kid. its about 2 weeks.

ColtsFan

Established Member
Reaction score
going strong since 1999, but I also use spironolactone 5% eve. and of course minoxidil (12.5%), nizoral, and a handful of sups. MSM and l-lysine incl.

If I was just on the finast I would have more hair than when I started but the other things added a huge boost

markymark123

Established Member
Reaction score
coltsfan, how is the 12.5 working for you, did you slowly build up to using that or did you start that right out of hte gate, i could use some temple regrowth and the xandrox 12.5 seems easiest to apply

ColtsFan

Established Member
Reaction score
jdizzle,

love the "whale" ....remember the battles in the old WHA w/ my Indy Racers....just not the same since they moved to the Carolinas

Yea I tried the 15% but lost a bunch of hair, so I went back to what really helped the best and thats the 12.5 Dont know what to cont. it to but my personal case really resonded better to the 12.5

I put some on the crown and both high points of my hairline and massage it in.

I had used 5% for years and just wanted to try to get the vellus hairs in my crown to mature, I like the combo of one power treatment in the eves. spray some crew cupep., put on some 12.5, then some spironolactone, then some emu, massage it all in then wash in am, and dont put anything on other than some styling stuff.....