Any reason to believe prolonged use of Procecia cause cancer

persiannight

Reaction score
With all these recent headlines of prescription drugs and the hormonal effect of propecia is there any reason to believe that prolonger use could protentially cause cancer?? I mean I've been on far almost 7 years now... and I'm really beginning to worry alot about this. To the point of OCD! :cry:

thomas040

Established Member
Reaction score
that's an interesting subject...

fairly easy for someone to conduct a study... does men who have been taking finasterid get cancer more often, than others.... yes or no... ? if the statistics is the same, we have nothing to worry about..

I personally don't think that it will make any difference... they have been using finasterid for years for the original purpose, and hormonal inteferences is very normal on the other side of the sexual gender boarder... you know...: birth control pills:)

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Well, after about 15 years of usage by patients with prostate enlargement, no evidence that it causes cancer has been documented. That's at the 5mg dosage also.

From all my reading, finasteride. is probably safer than aspirin IMHO.

jrg

Established Member
Reaction score
There is no evidence that finasteride causes cancer .. yes BUT those who take 5mg finasteride has a slightly lower chance of developing prostate cancer. However there is a slighly higher chance of developing malignant prostate cancer. If I remember correctly, the percentage difference is 1.3% between those who take finasteride and those who don't.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What I read is that the chance of getting terminal prostate cancer is a lot higher on finasteride. It's more than just 1.3%...

jrg

Established Member
Reaction score
What I was refering to is the difference in percentage between those who are on 5mg finasteride (i.e. Proscar) and those given placebo, not the absolute probability.

persiannight

Reaction score
Matgallis said:
What I read is that the chance of getting terminal prostate cancer is a lot higher on finasteride. It's more than just 1.3%...

See, that is what scares me... I'm 28 years old and been on finasteride for 6.5-7 yrs... and I just wonder how much longer can I safely be on this??

VOVVIE

Established Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't worry about it too much if i were you, not until ive heard or read more on the issue at least.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
persiannight---how has the stuff worked for your hair these last 7 years? Is it still effective?

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah, i had the same question as jaygee, not to get off topic, but it's tough to find 7 year veterans of propecia use for hair loss. since you are that worried about cancer and still considering using it, i can only assume it has worked well for you. cheers.

ps. i agree with most of these posts, my dermatologist referred to propecia as probably one of the safest drugs out there right now. so worry more about going out in the sun or drinking too much before you worry about propecia causing cancer.

persiannight

Reaction score
Over the last 1.5 years I've thinned out a little bit more but I think that is to be expected as it cannot block ALL DHT..... I've kind of weened myself off Rogaine 5% because it was just too damn irritating to my scalp. I'm probably going to go back on 2% at some point. Rogaine to me is just a pain... it's messy, it a b**ch to apply if you really don't have any definate bald spots... you end up getting more on your hair then on your scalp.