Any Truth To Skull Expansion?

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Can hair loss be caused by skull expansion?

I know this has been discussed before, but I just really want a yes or no answer... sorry... lol

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Natwraggie said:
Can hair loss be caused by skull expansion?

I know this has been discussed before, but I just really want a yes or no answer... sorry... lol

no if skull expansion were the cause & not a genetic predispostion to DHT then all your hair would be affected, not just hair in the horse shoe shape

If skull expansion was the cause then DHT blocking drugs like finasteride would have no effect.

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
DHT plays a role in bone formation. There's an academic article about this called 'Big Head? Bald Head!' Look it up.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
FSHGLD said:
DHT plays a role in bone formation. There's an academic article about this called 'Big Head? Bald Head!' Look it up.

He is right.

Nene

Reaction score
That's ridiculous. Men with hair also have DHT so why doesn't their head get bigger? The human skeleton does not grow after a certain age.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
That's ridiculous. Men with hair also have DHT so why doesn't their head get bigger? The human skeleton does not grow after a certain age.

Thanks

Just feels like my head has gotten bigger recentely. Lets hope I am just worrying about nothing.

Nene

Reaction score
Natwraggie said:
Nene said:

Thanks

Just feels like my head has gotten bigger recentely. Lets hope I am just worrying about nothing.

I'm not doctor but I'm almost 100% sure you're skull cannot expand barring some very rare and strange illness.

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
FSHGLD said:

Academic? Barely. Here´s a quote from the "aims and scope" section, of Elsevier´s "medical Hypothesis"- journal.

"Medical Hypotheses will publish papers which describe theories, ideas which have a great deal of observational support and some hypotheses where experimental support is yet fragmentary
Earlier it states
it (the journal) will publish interesting and important theoretical papers that foster the diversity and debate upon which the scientific process thrives

In short: "we have observed something interesting, and would like to theorize around it for a bit, but in the end we haven´t done any new research, simply trimmed our minds a little and created debate".

It´s a "not to be taken too seriously"- journal who´s main purpose is to amuse, theorize and create "ideas for fruther research"

True, the article quotes other researchers and literature, who have found out that DHT indeed plays a part in bone formation (and in muscle tissue metabolism. And prostate tissue growth. And neurogenesis, while you´re at it. And maintenance of penile ultrastrucure- at least in rats). They refer to a couple of studies, and then goes into a looooong speculation (without any research to back it up, it´s pure ad hoc) whether or not excess DHT causes excess bone growth, whether or not excess bone growth causes scalp expansion and (more ad hoc) whether said expansion could be bad for hair follicles.

The study then optimistically concludes that
A redirection of genetic research towards the identification of those genes responsible for skull shape and development would be appropriate, and may reveal the genetic connection to Androgenetic Alopecia including its paternal link.

Translates to "if someone would take the bother to see if there´s any genetic evidence for our musings, maybe someone will find something out; although we´re not too certain."

Academic? Maybe
Scientific? No.

theShade

Reaction score
Hair that is transplanted from a 'permenent' zone to a region of the head where hair is balding; remains and does not die off like its neighbours.

Clearly, the mechanism lies in the individual hair follicles; and as such this theory is simple bullshit.

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
theShade said:
Hair that is transplanted from a 'permenent' zone to a region of the head where hair is balding; remains and does not die off like its neighbours.

Clearly, the mechanism lies in the individual hair follicles; and as such this theory is simple bullshit.

You said it.

RegrowthPlease

My Regimen
Reaction score
no if skull expansion were the cause & not a genetic predispostion to DHT then all your hair would be affected, not just hair in the horse shoe shape

If skull expansion was the cause then DHT blocking drugs like finasteride would have no effect.

Appositional growth of the frontal bone can occur along its posterior peripheries (at the coronal suture which does not fuse up till age 40) overlayed by the frontalis muscle and the muscle's fibers are pretty much identical to the balding temporal patterns. My guess is the frontalis muscle has some significance in the causation of baldness, in that it either affects the scalp directly - stretching it and depriving nutrients from the hair; or the frontalis pulls and instigates growth on the frontal bone - hence subsequently causing the same nutrient deprivation effect of a stretched scalp. This is how we get different shaped heads and faces, because of appositional bone growth on select regions. Not everyone's cranium grows the same way, that much should be common sense.

Another factor could be an expanding brain especially the frontal lobe causing frontal bone growth, but probably less likely.

Rosscoffee

My Regimen
Reaction score

DHT is just one of the many causes of hair loss. The root cause is that the follicles are not getting enough blood/oxygen right? I think skull expansion may cause thinning of the blood vessels and cause the hair follicles in those regions to get less blood. I think skull expansion along with DHT and other variables all play a role in hair loss.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Surely it can't be a coincidence that Male Pattern Baldness is mostly concentrated in a region above and immediately surrounding the galea. Skull expansion or contraction of muscles connected to the galea seems to be the most convincing explanation as to why inflammatory factors and 5-AR activity is so high in this region. The notion that HFs are genetically conscripted to be sensitive to DHT in a certain area seems a little outlandish IMO. A lot of people dismiss this theory quickly by pointing to hair transplants but how successful are hair transplants? Anecdotal reports I have read in the past have suggested transplanted hairs do indeed miniaturise years down the line, but there hasn't been a long term study that has documented patient outcomes to verify one way or the other, for the time being the debate rages..

RegrowthPlease

My Regimen
Reaction score
Surely it can't be a coincidence that Male Pattern Baldness is mostly concentrated in a region above and immediately surrounding the galea. Skull expansion or contraction of muscles connected to the galea seems to be the most convincing explanation as to why inflammatory factors and 5-AR activity is so high in this region. The notion that HFs are genetically conscripted to be sensitive to DHT in a certain area seems a little outlandish IMO. A lot of people dismiss this theory quickly by pointing to hair transplants but how successful are hair transplants? Anecdotal reports I have read in the past have suggested transplanted hairs do indeed miniaturise years down the line, but there hasn't been a long term study that has documented patient outcomes to verify one way or the other, for the time being the debate rages..

Indeed. And there was a study which followed some patients who had botox injected into their scalp muscles, and results were something like 20% average increase in hair count 1 year later after 2 sessions of botox. If that isn't extremely revealing I don't know what is.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

The first hair transplants were ugly plugs. and sometimes you see older patients who had these primitive hair transplant who go for repair hair transplant. And what do we see more than a decade after? they still have these hair plugs.
secondly look at this post #51 I posted in another thread :
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ent-for-mice-found.115828/page-3#post-1697090
so literally 10years after... transplanted hairs on the 1st third are the only ones still holding on and he lost all the native hairs behind.

RegrowthPlease

My Regimen
Reaction score
The first hair transplants were ugly plugs. and sometimes you see older patients who had these primitive hair transplant who go for repair hair transplant. And what do we see more than a decade after? they still have these hair plugs.
secondly look at this post #51 I posted in another thread :
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ent-for-mice-found.115828/page-3#post-1697090
so literally 10years after... transplanted hairs on the 1st third are the only ones still holding on and he lost all the native hairs behind.

Honestly that does not disprove the theory. The frontal bone runs from directly on the top of the orbits to the coronal suture at the top of the cranium vault. U wrote that he was NW3A, and his re-balding patterns seem to agree with this. Hair transplanted to just about his natural hairline has again receded, since it was in the affected zone. Anywhere south of that was probably not affected, just as his eyebrows don't thin because they are not in the balding zone.

Or, u can think of it as growth along the coronal suture expanding the cranium forwards and "pushing" the transplanted hair forwards creating a gap that was previously fixed.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly that does not disprove the theory. The frontal bone runs from directly on the top of the orbits to the coronal suture at the top of the cranium vault. U wrote that he was NW3A, and his re-balding patterns seem to agree with this. Hair transplanted to just about his natural hairline has again receded, since it was in the affected zone. Anywhere south of that was probably not affected, just as his eyebrows don't thin because they are not in the balding zone.

Or, u can think of it as growth along the coronal suture expanding the cranium forwards and "pushing" the transplanted hair forwards creating a gap that was previously fixed.

Yes his balding journey continued after his transplant so what? What theory are you looking for ? I dont talk about any theory. I talk about hair transplant. And I just answer you because you said :
"how successful are hair transplants? Anecdotal reports I have read in the past have suggested transplanted hairs do indeed miniaturise years down the line"
I show you actual picture of a living man who had a hair transplant 10years ago and still has the hairs nowadays. that's not theory or Anecdotal reports, that's reality. You have a proof transplanted follicles survive decade and more even without taking anti androgen. Now I agree Skull expansion is a theory for the native hairs on the top of the scalp, hairs which become prone to dht over time... but that's a theory amongst others

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys have to see my scalp. The entire galea region is now filled with baby hair growing a cm but still white color. All this from dermarolling 0,5 eod. I’m going to start the massage + cold shower combo along with it and report back. My point is, I’m starting to think that all the theories mentioned are correct. I’m also starting to think this has to do with igf1 deficiency and metabolic syndrome for some reason.