anybody heard or tried Black Seed (Nigella sativa)

bibs

Reaction score
In my part of the world, the black seed is considered to be a miracle seed, we call it "the blessed seed" in my language. I did some research on the internet and found some articles on it and hairloss (among other things). Anybody have any inputs on this?

Action and Function of Black Seed Oil

Black Seed (Nigella sativa) is one the most revered medicinal seeds in history.

Although the recommendation to use black seed was made over 1400 years ago by Prophet Muhammad (salalahu alayhi wa salaam) and mentioned in the Bible [written refferance to Black Seed is found in the book of Isaiah in the Old Testament. Isaiah contrasts the reaping of black cumin with wheat: For the black cumin is not threshed with a threshing sledge, nor is a cart wheel rolled over the cumin, but the black cumin is beaten out with a stick, and the cumin with a rod. (Isaiah 28:25,27 NKJV). Easton's Bible Dictionary clarifies that the Hebrew word for black cumin, "ketsah," refers to "without doubt the Nigella sativa, a small annual of the order Ranunculaceae which grows wild in the Mediterranean countries] they were not carefully researched until about forty years ago. Since that time, more than 200 studies have been conducted in universities all over the world. One such study conducted at the Munich Institute for Research on Newer Therapeutic Methods [Münchner Institut zur Erforschung neuer Therapieverfahren] has confirmed by means of the most modern analytic methods that black seed oil contains over 100 active health-promoting substances and displays superior clinical effectiveness as a nutritional supplement.

Amongst the many amazing discoveries researchers have found that the Black seeds are superior to almost every other natural remedy when used for autoimmune disorders, conditions in which patients suffer greatly because their own systems attack their bodies. Black seed, especially when combined with garlic, is regarded as a harmonizer of the imbalance which allows immune cells to destroy healthy cells. The technical language to describe this property is "immunomodulatory action." The difference between black seed and interferon is that there are no known side effects with black seed when administered in normal dosages. The saying goes that the beauty of black seed is its capacity to restore harmony.

Another profound discovery is that the ingredients (polyunsaturated fatty acids) of the oil lead to increased production of the messenger substance prostaglandin E1, a hormone-like substance, that functions as a general regulator on several body functions such as brain function, nerve function, lowering blood pressure and activation of the immune system.
Black seed contains 0.5-1% ethereal oil which has, in addition to antioxidant properties has antibacterial and antimycotic effects.
In addition, black seed oil can be helpful in the treatment of skin and intestinal fungus, acne, bronchitis, frequent colds, headaches caused by hormone conditions (in women), and for flatulence. Black Seed oil also has anti inflammatory properties that are probably due to the anti-oxidative action of its components thymoquinone and nigellone in ameliorating inflammatory diseases ( upper respiratory conditions, coughs, colds, bronchitis, fevers, flu). It is used by many to lower blood sugar level and to strengthen the immune system. Black Seed also contains carotene which is converted by the liver into vitamin A. Its most important function is in treating allergic illness such as hay fever, neurodermatitis and asthma.*

Oil Composition

Oleic acid 64%

Linoleic acid 12%

Linolenic acid 70%

Eicosadienoic 53%

Black Seed Oil has a high concentration of essential fatty acids which cannot be synthesized by our bodies and are necessary for optimal health.
Preparations containing linoleic and linolenic acids have been used extensively for the treatment of lowering blood cholesterol,eczema and skin diseases, multiple Sclerosis, pre-menstrual tension, variety of tumors, arterio-thrombotic diseases and rheumatoid arthritis. *

Volatile Oil Analysis

The analysis of the volatile oil (essential oil) content in the black seed reveals chemical compounds that have been proven to exert all of these actions. The seed, which contains 1 of 4 of volatile oils has the following composition:.

Volatile Oil Analysis Results

Volatile Oil Percentage Properties

Cymene 32%
Known to have been used for its local analgesic actions, in rheumatic conditions.

Pinene 3%
When taken internally has mild expectorant and colic properties and when used externally has similar actions to Cymene.

Carbony 25%
Responsible for the antiseptic and anti-microbial properties of the seed. Extensive microbiological tests have confirmed its action against gram-positive as well as gram-negative organisms.

Carvone .05%
Known for its anti-colic and flatulence properties.

Limonene 27%
Reported to be effective in the treatment of gallstones.

Nigellone semohiprepinon 1.5%
When enhaled or rubbed on the chest, it enlarges the bronchi,dissovles cramps and raises their temperature which quickly alleviates symptoms due to bronchial asthma and whooping cough. Also inhibits the release of histamine.

Thymochinon
Inhibits infection, relieves pain,stimulates the gall bladder and works as an anti oxidant.

Jacob

Reaction score
Yep..heard of it and have taken it before. Even used a very good shampoo that contained it.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How expensive is black seed?

bibs

Reaction score
Its actually not expensive. I bought a 60 ml of black seed oil 3 days ago for less than $10. I used it the last two days at night and it really made my scalp feel much better. I had these bumbs on my scalp and within two days they almost disappeared. Dont know how ill fit this into my regimen but ill figure something out.

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Although I don't have a lot of faith that black seed could miraculously cure my hair loss, I am interested in its possible "overall" health benefits. Is it something that's commonly found at most health/vitamin stores, or would I have to order it online?

Thanks!

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
And one more question: would anyone recommend dropping some of the oil into your shampoo to help maintain a healthy scalp? Or would it be better to simply apply it directly to a dry scalp?

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
where is a good place to get good black see oil? and how much to apply to the balding area ?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oil Composition

Oleic acid 64%

Linoleic acid 12%

Linolenic acid 70%

Eicosadienoic 53%

Is there a mistake?

64 + 12 + 70 + 53 = >> 100

Armando