Anybody try Androcur?

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Would this help prevent the upregulation of testosterone seen with Avodart or Propecia?

"Cyproterone acetate (Androcur®, Cyprostat®, Cyproteron®, Procur®, Cyprone®, Cyprohexal®, Ciproterona®, Cyproteronum®, Neoproxil®, Siterone®) is an antiandrogen, i.e. it suppresses the actions of testosterone (and its metabolite dihydrotestosterone) on tissues. It acts by blocking androgen receptors which prevents androgens from binding to them and suppresses luteinizing hormone (which in turn reduces testosterone levels). Its main indications are prostate cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia, priapism, hypersexuality and other conditions in which androgen action maintains the disease process. Due to its anti-androgen effect, it can also be used to treat hirsutism, and is a common component in hormone therapy for male-to-female transgendered people.

Until the development of leuprolide, cyproterone was one of the few drugs used to treat precocious puberty. It was also used in animal experimentation to investigate the actions of androgens in fetal sexual differentiation.

In addition, cyproterone acetate has weak progestational activity (e.g., it acts like progesterone) and can be used to treat hot flushes. As part of some contraceptive pills (Diane®) it decreases acne and hirsutism (male-pattern hair growth)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyproterone

This section confuses me:

"Cyproterone acetate is a synthetic derivative of 17-hydroxyprogesterone, and acts as an androgen receptor antagonist with weak progestational and glucocorticoid activity. Some portion is metabolized by hydrolysis to cyproterone and acetic acid.[1] However, unlike many other steroid esters, cyproterone acetate is not extensively hydrolyzed, and much of its pharmacological activity is attributed to its acetate form.[2] Cyproterone acetate has approximately three times the anti-androgenic activity of cyproterone.[3]

Cyproterone acetate inhibits the steroidogenic enzyme 21-hydroxylase and to a lesser extent 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, both of which are needed to synthesize cortisol.[4] The blockade of 21-hydroxylase can also result in reduced production of aldosterone, the primary mineralcorticoid hormone. Mutations in the gene encoding 21-hydroxylase are fairly common in the human population, therefore some patients may be affected more than others. Although cyproterone has some glucocorticoid activity,[5] this is offset by the fact that cyproterone acetate inhibits cortisol production and can act as a competitive inhibitor of cortisol at the glucocorticoid receptor,[6] thus its adrenosuppressive effects are usually fairly minor.[7] However, since the glucocorticoid effects appear to be due to metabolites, rather than cyproterone acetate itself, the net effect may vary depending on the rate at which cyproterone acetate is metabolized.[8] The progestational and glucocorticoid effects reduce production of gonadotropins, which usually results in lower testosterone levels, however the blockade of adrenal 21-hydroxylase results in the accumulation of androgen precursors which may be converted to testosterone, reducing the efficacy of the antiandrogen treatment. Due to the possibility of increased adrenal androgens, cyproterone acetate is sometimes combined with the 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride, and studies of hirsutism treatment show increased efficacy of this combination over cyproterone acetate alone.[9] Some in vitro studies have suggested that cyproterone or cyproterone acetate may have a slight inhibitory effect on 5-alpha-reductase, however no significant reduction in DHT production has been observed in vivo"

Can someone explain this for me? Why is androcur effective at lowering testosterone but not DHT?

IBM

Reaction score
I cant explain in scientifical manner but Cyproterone acetate is an antiandrogen that lowers testosterone and binds some DHT. Of course by lowering testosterone you always lower DHT. Of course finasteride and dutasteride is more efective because binds DHT which is responsible for hairloss.

I believe that testosterone have some effect on hair. Because of that i use Oral spironolactone which is less powerful than Cyproterone acetate (the most powerful androgen).

Antiandrogens have great risks to man. I know what i'm talking because i take 50 mg/day of Oral spironolactone. I wonder why Socks said that hadnt side effects with 200 mg :shock: . Or he hide something from us or he was very lucky guy. I bet the first.

I repeat i know what i'm talking about because i'm in through.

CCS

Reaction score
in a nutshell, adrocur is dumb.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
I cant explain in scientifical manner but Cyproterone acetate is an antiandrogen that lowers testosterone and binds some DHT. Of course by lowering testosterone you always lower DHT. Of course finasteride and dutasteride is more efective because binds DHT which is responsible for hairloss.

I believe that testosterone have some effect on hair. Because of that i use Oral spironolactone which is less powerful than Cyproterone acetate (the most powerful androgen).

Antiandrogens have great risks to man. I know what i'm talking because i take 50 mg/day of Oral spironolactone. I wonder why Socks said that hadnt side effects with 200 mg :shock: . Or he hide something from us or he was very lucky guy. I bet the first.

You take oral spironolactone? Is that safe? I read that it is carcinogenic.

The possible side effects sound really bad too...gynecomastia, liver toxicity, stomach ulcer, stomach upset, etc. Have you had any of these problems? What side effects have you experienced?

IBM

Reaction score
youngbaldie said:
IBM said:

You take oral spironolactone? Is that safe? I read that it is carcinogenic.

The possible side effects sound really bad too...gynecomastia, liver toxicity, stomach ulcer, stomach upset, etc. Have you had any of these problems? What side effects have you experienced?

Low ejeculation...

CCS

Reaction score
oral spironolactone is dumb too.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
collegechemistrystudent said:
oral spironolactone is dumb too.

Could you say why?

I am guessing he means the side effects may outweigh any benefits. Testosterone lowering medications are harsh IMO. They may help some people, but they scare off most men, probably, rightfully so.

Of course, if you find success with it, more power to you.