Anyone experimenting out there?

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
I know every now and then someone puts allergy pills on their head or something like that.

I'm just curious if anyone is currently testing something or doing some trials.

If so, let me know.

a.watt89

Reaction score
Well, I've been on minoxidil for about a year now, and have only seen more thinning. About a month ago I decided to add scalp massage twice a day, and a whole mess of supplements to see if there's anyway to quit shedding without having to take finasteride. I'll post some status updates in another month or so, but the very early results are looking promising! The back of my head seems to be filling in, but it is still too early to tell. I don't want to jump the gun if my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

For the record, the supplements I've started are:

-black tea extract (possible DHT reduction)
-gelatin (studies shown hair growth and increased diameter in men and women)
-nettle root extract (possible DHT reduction)
-beta sitosterol (possible DHT reduciton)
-Fo-Ti (eastern medicine supposedly promotes hair growth and color)
-Silica (alternative to biotin but doesn't cause acne)

1 Capsule of each everyday, except gelatin which is 1 tbsp dissolved in juice per day. I know this forum doesn't put much faith in natural treatments, but I'm gonna give it a go every single day for a solid 6 months and hope for the best.

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been on minoxidil for about a year now, and have only seen more thinning. About a month ago I decided to add scalp massage twice a day, and a whole mess of supplements to see if there's anyway to quit shedding without having to take finasteride. I'll post some status updates in another month or so, but the very early results are looking promising! The back of my head seems to be filling in, but it is still too early to tell. I don't want to jump the gun if my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

1 Capsule of each everyday, except gelatin which is 1 tbsp dissolved in juice per day. I know this forum doesn't put much faith in natural treatments, but I'm gonna give it a go every single day for a solid 6 months and hope for the best.

You don't want to take finasteride but you take natural 5-alpha-reductase ? I have seen people having the same sexual sides on natural alternative to finasteride, even PFS.

I know every now and then someone puts allergy pills on their head or something like that.

I'm just curious if anyone is currently testing something or doing some trials.

If so, let me know.

Yes I am on something totally different, I will report if anything. BUT, my scalp is a LOT less oily. I can get away with not washing my hairs for 2-3 days while I couldn't even allow to myself live without washing my hair after one day before (They looked like crap).

a.watt89

Reaction score
You don't want to take finasteride but you take natural 5-alpha-reductase ? I have seen people having the same sexual sides on natural alternative to finasteride, even PFS.

Well, I'm gonna give it a shot. I'd prefer to spread out 5ar blockers between different supplements that might possibly have different mechanisms of action/ effects on the body. As opposed to putting my chips on one very powerful drug that only blocks one type of 5ar; and comes with a host of well known serious sides.

I may still wind up with the same side effects, or none of this may even work at all. But at least I can say I tried just about every natural supplement that's recommended or has any small shred of evidence. I did take saw palmetto for a while. But I had to stop because I was having terrible stomach pains. Just gonna keep fighting the good fight :punk:

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
One idea would be to find a way to take finasteride and to counter it's side effects by supplementing what is missing. I think this may be possible, because they did it in mice. Never been tested in human to my knowledge tho. Interesting article here

a.watt89

Reaction score
One idea would be to find a way to take finasteride and to counter it's side effects by supplementing what is missing. I think this may be possible, because they did it in mice. Never been tested in human to my knowledge tho. Interesting article here

That's very interesting, and very in depth. To summarize, I guess what they're saying is adding isoflavones could to reduce stronger forms of androgens and estrogens, and keep the balance that gets thrown off when we start messing with hormones? Biology is insane. No wonder we can't figure out how to cure baldness lol!

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score

Sounds good. I think you've been scouring the web looking for stuff as hard as I have. I think Ray Peat and Danny Roddy are big pushers of gelatin mixed with juice. Thanks for the in depth response by the way.

I have tried saw palmetto both internal and topical to no joy. I did however find that topical saw palmetto mixed with aloe gel cured my dandruff fast.

I'm currently on the big 3, but also taurine and magnesium. I heard taurine can help with inflammation in the body. I just like taking magnesium for the heck of it.

any particular method for scalp massage? What do you think is helping you out the most?

a.watt89

Reaction score
Sounds good. I think you've been scouring the web looking for stuff as hard as I have. I think Ray Peat and Danny Roddy are big pushers of gelatin mixed with juice. Thanks for the in depth response by the way.

I have tried saw palmetto both internal and topical to no joy. I did however find that topical saw palmetto mixed with aloe gel cured my dandruff fast.

I'm currently on the big 3, but also taurine and magnesium. I heard taurine can help with inflammation in the body. I just like taking magnesium for the heck of it.

any particular method for scalp massage? What do you think is helping you out the most?

I've heard a lot of good things about taurine in general, and I've never considered supplementing it yet.

To be honest, I think the biggest help so far has been doing scalp massage. It's one of the few things that I've actually been able to feel have made a difference. Before starting scalp massage, the skin felt a little thicker than it does now. And there was also a strange sensation of tingling... or stinging. Kinda hard to explain, but it was unpleasant. And it just so happened that the stinging feeling was mostly around the hair was thinnest. About a week into massage, the stinging sensation went away. And my scalp started to feel like it wasn't so thick.

I do it twice a day, for 10 mins each time. There's two different motions that I use when I do scalp massage. The first is just pressing very firmly into the scalp with the fingertips and moving the skin in circles. And the second is pressing the skin together to make the skin sort of fold upwards off the skull. I hope that makes sense! I think what makes all the difference in the world, is that you need to do scalp massage pretty hard. It should actually hurt just a little. And be sure to plant your fingers very firmly into the skin of your scalp, so you aren't tugging on hairs.

minoxiDjunkie

Established Member
Reaction score
hey watt - how do you take gelatin ??

israelite -
whats 'min agent',
and - saba gel - isnt it good only for AA ?
ive heard it wont do much to male pattern baldness