Anyone Expierence With saw palmetto?

astros148

Established Member
Reaction score
ive searched for about 45 min on this site and got alot of mixed reviews, some people shed bad while some regrew some hair while some saw nothing.

Im at the point where im not sure if i should start Propecia cuz im not sure if i just need it yet, btw im a 21yr old male. so im thinking about trying some saw palmetto as its cheap and see where that takes me for a couple of months..

Reaction?

mykal_P

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw palmetto won't do anything significant for you alone. It's works well with other things in a regiment but does not come close to finasteride in it's potency and effectiveness. SP plus maybe some beta sitosterol IMO work decent for naturals to help somewhat.

Not proven but worth interest

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=54287

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
I use it and experience bad shedding. I haven't noticed do much for my hair loss at all. But I still use it to see if there on results in a few months time.

tabacaru

Reaction score
I'm also 21 and have been using it now for 2 months with minoxidil and nizoral (and a few other non-hair specific supplements).

It seems to be helping me out, but there are prostate problems in my family and It may only be helping me out because it's helping my prostate as well (that's what it's originally used for).

Give it a shot for a couple months.

muhu

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using it for 7 months..shed the first 2-3 months and no more after that. I am no sure if it's actually helping my hair loss since I also use minoxidil.

mykal_P

Established Member
Reaction score
Do it, I've never heard anyone on here say saw palmetto ruined my hair. Plus its good for the prostate anyhow.

muhu said:
I've been using it for 7 months..shed the first 2-3 months and no more after that. I am no sure if it's actually helping my hair loss since I also use minoxidil.
The minoxidil made you shed not the SP

Natwraggie said:
I use it and experience bad shedding. I haven't noticed do much for my hair loss at all. But I still use it to see if there on results in a few months time.
What else are you using, because I just don't see SP making you shed, it has a weak effect at best.

muhu

Established Member
Reaction score
mykal_P said:
Do it, I've never heard anyone on here say saw palmetto ruined my hair. Plus its good for the prostate anyhow.

muhu said:
The minoxidil made you shed not the SP

Actually I started using minoxidil due to the shedding..I've only been on it for 4 months.

Interestingly enough my shedding stopped when I started minoxidil..so I don't know what's going on here.

ali777

Reaction score
I have tried it for a short period of time, and I got propecia like side effects but less of it.

So, if you really want to use DHT inhibitors, use the real deal and go for propecia.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
My experience:

Last year he used (450 mg) for 8 months and had a lot of itching and hair loss after that stopped using it, In January I went to use it but now reduces the dose to 160 mg and it was only joy, my hair began to grow stronger and thicker and also had a small regrowth at the front

Saw Palmetto seems to not work with everyone, at least that's what I reported, my levels of DHT and testosterone were always low, maybe that's why I had a worsening with version 450 Mg

astros148

Established Member
Reaction score
dpdr said:
My experience:

Last year he used (450 mg) for 8 months and had a lot of itching and hair loss after that stopped using it, In January I went to use it but now reduces the dose to 160 mg and it was only joy, my hair began to grow stronger and thicker and also had a small regrowth at the front

Saw Palmetto seems to not work with everyone, at least that's what I reported, my levels of DHT and testosterone were always low, maybe that's why I had a worsening with version 450 Mg
Yeah see im 21, and i have mild male pattern baldness, so im thinking before i get on propecia i wanna try something smaller such as Saw

hmm should i stick to a doseage of 320 and see what happens?

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
astros148 said:
dpdr said:
My experience:

Yeah see im 21, and i have mild male pattern baldness, so im thinking before i get on propecia i wanna try something smaller such as Saw

Dude, start using 320 mg per 1 or 2 months and see if it works and if it had side effects with it (a lot of itching in the head, mild pain in the testicles, etc...)

If he is not taking effect or the side effects are very strong, decrease to 160 Mg

astros148

Established Member
Reaction score
dpdr said:
astros148 said:
dpdr said:
My experience:

Dude, start using 320 mg per 1 or 2 months and see if it works and if it had side effects with it (a lot of itching in the head, mild pain in the testicles, etc...)

If he is not taking effect or the side effects are very strong, decrease to 160 Mg

thanks, ima start today and report with my progress

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
astros148 said:
mykal_P said:
Saw palmetto won't do anything significant for you alone. It's works well with other things in a regiment but does not come close to finasteride in it's potency and effectiveness. SP plus maybe some beta sitosterol IMO work decent for naturals to help somewhat.

Not proven but worth interest

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=54287

why do you say it wont do any help?
Saw palmetto blocks the enzyme 5-alpha reductase type I and II, whereas Propecia only blocks the enzyme type II, SP is much better than Propecia, but of course, as I said seems not work with the world

Understand one thing, reset the DHT will not help stop the Androgenetic Alopecia, To reduce the DHT, Saw Palmetto is already sizable

mykal_P

Established Member
Reaction score
astros148 said:
I did not say it won't help, I just said its not as strong as propecia and it works well in a complete regiment and not alone.

dpdr said:
Saw palmetto blocks the enzyme 5-alpha reductase type I and II, whereas Propecia only blocks the enzyme type II, SP is much better than Propecia, but of course, as I said seems not work with the world
So everyone on this site has been wrong for all these years naming propecia one of the "BIG" three. All this time it should have been saw palmetto. Good luck with that theory.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
mykal_P said:
astros148 said:
I did not say it won't help, I just said its not as strong as propecia and it works well in a complete regiment and not alone.

dpdr said:
So everyone on this site has been wrong for all these years naming propecia one of the "BIG" three. All this time it should have been saw palmetto. Good luck with that theory.

Ok guy, if you think so, as I said, for me the saw palmetto worked perfectly, even better than Propecia