Anyone Had A hair transplant With Retrograde Alpoceia?

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone here has retrograde alopecia hairloss and has had a transplant? I have male pattern baldness and retrograde unfortunately. Only started really noticing the retrograde within the past few months.

My plan was to have a transplant within the next few years to get back to a Norwood 2 with decent density. Norwood 3 now. Not looking for a Norwood 1 or anything like that. But now I am petrified that due to my retrograde it won't be possible.

dr. cole

Reaction score
What class are you now? Having retrograde alopecia with limited hair loss is unusual. We see it most commonly in individuals, who are headed to an NW6 or greater. Usually, we this retrograde alopecia when someone is already showing evidence that they are advancing to an NW6 or higher.
Retrograde alopecia is an interesting phenomenon. When a child is born, they usually have vellus hair all over their head. Most of the hair later turns into terminal hair everywhere except the lower part of the donor area, where we see retrograde alopecia. Often, only when a child advances beyond age 5 or 6 does this hair in the lower part of the donor area begin to change into terminal hair. Typically, this bottom part of the donor area is where we see retrograde alopecia occur. In other words, this region seems to be different physiologically or genetically than the other parts of the donor area. Anatomically in adult life retrograde alopecia will occur 2 or 3 cm below the location of the occipital protuberance and below.
The question is whether hair transplants happen in those experiencing retrograde alopecia. It happens all the time, but most commonly because the physician does not see retrograde alopecia on the horizon. Incidentally, the best predictor is to harvest from this area with FUE to look for a higher percentage of telogen hair. The hair in this area is already miniaturized compared to higher regions of the donor area, so miniaturization alone is not a great predictor. Only later in the hair loss process does this hair in the bottom of the donor area become markedly miniaturized. Thus, the next best predictor is to evaluate the recipient area to look for signs that a patient is advancing to an NW6. If the patient is progressing to an NW6, it is much safer to avoid harvesting from this region. The only reason to avoid this area in harvesting is that the patient will lose the grafts from this zone later in life because transplantation does not protect these follicles from their destiny, which is to fall out.
In strip surgery, it is inadvisable to harvest in this region because the area is highly prone to very wide scars, which do not respond favorably to scar revision. Only one clinic in the world commonly harvested here over the decades to obtain finer hair for the hairline. Their commercials run incessantly on TV and of course, they made many bad decisions over the years. All of these bad decisions led to a bad global reputation from which they will never recover. Whenever I saw a strip scar in this region, I could always predict the clinic source.
I call this part of the donor area, the "Minor Region". On average, there are 3062 follicular units (I prefer the term follicular groups) in the Minor Region. There are 12,333 follicular groups in the Major Region above the minor region. We should be able to take one-half of these groups for transplantation.
I prefer to leave the Minor Region until later in the transplant process. The rationale is straightforward and three-fold. First, this area is prone to retrograde alopecia. Second, this area is more likely to show white doting because many FUE patients prefer a "fade" shorter hair style in the donor area. Of course, we can solve any white doting with Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP). Third, the hair is finer in this region and will not provide as much hair volume or coverage because the volume is exponentially a function of hair diameter. If you double the hair diameter, you quadruple the hair volume.
Thus, you are a candidate for hair restoration provided you have the following:
1. Realistic goals
2. your family history does not predict an advanced degree of loss that will not allow you to meet your long-term goals
3. The remainder of you donor area has an acceptable density (average or higher than average density are preferable)
4. Your donor area cross sectional trichometery (CST) is average or greater. The CST is a measure of density and diameter

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for you're reply. I am Norwood 3 right now. I just turned 26 and my hairloss is DRASTICALLY increasing now. I can notice a difference in my hairline almost on a weekly basis and my crown is begging to thin. I am definitely headed to a Norwood 6-7 I believe.

My family history is not good. On my fathers side , all males are Norwood 7. My mothers father had a bit of hair when he passed away.

I began noticing receding at 23-24ish. Now I'm 26. I've went from Norwood 2 to 3 within 2 years.

I have been on finasteride 1.25mg for 10 months. Hard to tell if it's working. Maybe it's slowing things ? Maybe it's not.

Basically praying for a miracle

Last edited:

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think that if I were to be classified as not an ideal candidate for a hair transplant due to my retrograde, I would be okay to have a transplant and wear my hair shaved ?

The hair above my ears and my nape is very thin, my temples are bald, however I want a hairline to frame my face.

My donor area will be more sparse than someone without retrograde however I am just looking to create a NW2 hairline and plan to shave my head consistently.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You might want to get blood tests to see what your DHT and testosterone levels are. Sometimes finasteride does not lower DHT enough and you may need dutasteride. With family history on NW7 I would be scared sh9tless myself..

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
You might want to get blood tests to see what your DHT and testosterone levels are. Sometimes finasteride does not lower DHT enough and you may need dutasteride. With family history on NW7 I would be scared sh9tless myself..

Oh I'm petrified.

My father and all uncles are slick bald. It makes me wonder if anything would work for me.

But idunno I'm 26 and just hit nw3. Sometimes I think if it was that aggressive I'd be further gone by now. But that's just me coping lol.

dr. cole

Reaction score
This is the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night. Too young for so much potential hair loss.

An NW3 at age 26 is not so bad, but are you? The question is whether you are advancing to an NW6. Your family history suggests so. Unless I can evaluate your donor and recipient cross-sectional trichometry to prove you don't have progressive hair loss, I'd advise against hair restoration surgery based on your family history. If your hair is at least an inch long, it can tell you if your future suggests a loss in places where you are not certain. Maximal medication is your best option without knowing. I'd be cautious on proceeding with hair restoration surgery. Don't give up. Solutions might be possible. You need to start with an excellent diagnostic workup. Unfortunately, not many offer this. Unfortunately, the only physician other than myself, who understands this workup, is Dr. Rassman in LA.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night. Too young for so much potential hair loss.

An NW3 at age 26 is not so bad, but are you? The question is whether you are advancing to an NW6. Your family history suggests so. Unless I can evaluate your donor and recipient cross-sectional trichometry to prove you don't have progressive hair loss, I'd advise against hair restoration surgery based on your family history. If your hair is at least an inch long, it can tell you if your future suggests a loss in places where you are not certain. Maximal medication is your best option without knowing. I'd be cautious on proceeding with hair restoration surgery. Don't give up. Solutions might be possible. You need to start with an excellent diagnostic workup. Unfortunately, not many offer this. Unfortunately, the only physician other than myself, who understands this workup, is Dr. Rassman in LA.

Thanks for the reply. I'm having some consultations done in the near future and will take their advice seriously.

However with how much this hairloss is consuming my life and being this young , I feel like even if I have the surgery and buy myself 5-10 years with a good head of hair and heavy meds, it would be worth it. And going the slick bald or hair piece route later in life.

As far as I can tell my hairline is the only thing not responding whatsoever to the meds. My density and crown are hanging in there to a certain degree.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Thx for the reply. I'm in the middle of a couple consultations at this point. Awaiting to hear what the doctors have to say about my situation.

I wouldn't be opposed to waiting a year or two and see how much I can maintain of my hair during that time.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a hard situation for you and I feel for you. I am sure some docs out there would be willing to do it, but you gotta be honest with yourself. A transplant can be amazing even though it's a long road mentally and physically. For me it is amazing and I don't regret it.

I know I may need one more transplant one day but that's a while ahead and it's not a problem in any way. On top of that I have a lot of thick donor hair, finasteride doing well, no retrograde alopecia which in my mind is a contraindication of having a transplant. Also I am a few years older than you and I don't have a high Norwood destination. So I was a very good candidate.

You tick too many wrong boxes. You haven't been on finasteride long enough, aggressive pattern, negative family history, perhaps risk of shock loss and slightly young considering everything put together. I think you have fine blonde hair too?

A dense pack is not in your interests, you need to see what meds can do for you in the long run or you're opening a can of worms. If you're going into debt for the first transplant and you need another one a year later, then what? I know aggressive cases where people lose a lot of ground and thin out in a year or so despite medication.

FredTheBelgian was another good candidate of having a transplant in a strange way. He had already reached end stage and although the gains were minimal, the point is he wasn't potentially jeopardising himself.

No I don't want a dense pack that's for sure. I just want a hairline and to be able to shave my head. I know I'll never have great hair. Ive went up one Norwood stage in the past 3 years or so. And finasteride seems to be somewhat working however not in my hairline. The forelock is thinning now. I'm looking for a NW2 hairline and to reinforce the forelock. I don't have blonde hair tho. Medium brown hair with decent density.

However I do have retrograde and a bad family history.