Anyone has had experience with Acetyl-L-Carnitine?

G

Good or bad? I am thinking about adding it to my regimen, not only for hair loss but also for fat burning and increased mental energy. I am curious what other people have to say!

CCS

Reaction score
hair loss? I just take it for brain health.

G

I'd take ephedrine instead if you're only taking one thing for fat loss. Also helps with concentration. Make sure you get the real thing and not a ripoff.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jayman ephedrine is not good for you
i used to take it and i know

G

roki said:
jayman ephedrine is not good for you
i used to take it and i know

why not? everything i've read says it's fine if you have a healthy heart and normal blood pressure.

kevinme

Established Member
Reaction score
Ephedrine can also lead to damage of the brain receptors over a period of large usage this is because of its constant action on the neurochemicals. It also leads to high increase in blood pressure which over time can lead to damage in the blood vessels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedrine

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
just drink energy drinks. most all of them contain like 25mg of L-carnitine. hah

G

By now I have ordered 100g of ALC. I will inform you about further developments.

The Gardener

Reaction score
It is part of my daily supplementation.

In addition to its metabolistic benefits, it is a powerful part of a good neuro-protective supplementation.

CCS

Reaction score
the arginate version is a lot better, but costs 10 times as much.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I take it and it was done wonders for me. It is very good at keeping me level but with high spirits and it also gave me a small boost of energy but nothing to write home about.

Have you looked into an ALA/ALCA combo? From my understanding they should be taken together.

liquidfirex

Reaction score
Yeah ALCAR increases mitochondrial energy, and by doing so also increase free radicals, thus taking ALA mediates the potential danger of the increases levels of free radicals.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
liquidfirex said:
Yeah ALCAR increases mitochondrial energy, and by doing so also increase free radicals, thus taking ALA mediates the potential danger of the increases levels of free radicals.

And there it is. :)

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
Cortisol when on its high can cause some damage to hair. To much stress (like chronic everyday stress) can raise cortisol too much.

ALC helps to control Cortisol, so it should protect you against stress-releated factors in hairloss - sure this does not cause hair loss on itself, but excess cortisol can speed up or accelerate hair loss.

http://www.smart-drugs.com/info-alc.htm

ALC inhibits the excessive release of Cortisol in response to Stress and inhibits the depletion of Luteinising Hormone Releasing Hormone (LHRH) and Testosterone that occurs as a result of excessive Stress.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
liquidfirex said:

I'd still feel safer supplementing with straight Acetyl L-Carnitine than something like statins, which greatly deplete CoQ10, and cause far more mitochondrial aging. And as you've stated, that's why everyone should also supplement with Alpha Lipoic Acid to mop up those free radicals. Again, I would also add CoQ10 to the mix.

The ability to protect and perhaps regenerate our mitochondria should be one of the most utmost concerns, especially as we age. And I can't think of anything more powerful in this regard than the synergy of CoQ10/ALCAR/ALA.

BTW, one of the best ways to profoundly reduce cortisol: weight bearing exercise and vibrational plates.

Reaction score
ALC does inhibit cortisol, but I'd be very very wary about taking it for hairloss.

I take a lot of supplements every day, a lot drawn from Immortal Hair's reseach/knowledge.

However the aspect i avoid from it is the ALC/ALA combo. If the body is experiencing stress and increased cortisol levels, the last thing you should really be doing is trying to suppress it with supplementation. Lifestyle should mediate stress levels, never pills.

Having said that ALC is great for the thyroid, but ultimately very very few people suffer hairloss from hyper-thyroid condition. As a result I avoid the ALC and ALA as hair loss supplementation.