Anyone here had a transplant without taking propecia after?

jd_uk

Reaction score
...and if you didn't was it because you had already lost nearly all hair which would be susceptible to balding so there was no need?

What were your results long term after having the transplant and future hair loss?

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert but i'd imagine someone who has lost all their hair wouldn't be a good candidate for a hair transplant. I'd imagine that the amount of donor hair available wouldn't yield an acceptable coverage by any means, and leave a very poor result.

Maybe someone more in the know could back me up on this?

Would hate for someone to get a hair transplant and be left with a bad result

Mens Rea

Reaction score
dudemon said:
ajax said:
I'm no expert but i'd imagine someone who has lost all their hair wouldn't be a good candidate for a hair transplant. I'd imagine that the amount of donor hair available wouldn't yield an acceptable coverage by any means, and leave a very poor result.

Agreed 100%. IMO, NW4+ is going to have issues getting decent enough density for an acceptable and convincing end result, even after all available donor is used up. You can do BHT to increase the donor, nut IMO, too much body hair on your head will look rather odd, and "odd" = detectable hair transplant.

So, IMO, NW4+ would most likley be better off just shaving or buzzing it down and forgetting about hair transplants altogether. Sure their a a few "best case scenario" examples that prove to the contrary, but most of the time NW4+ will get crappy final results from hair transplants.

(NW4 = borderline, and could go either way)

From what I hae seen and read online, most NW4+ guys whoget hair transplants almost always wind up shaving their head a few years down road when they get tired of going around with detectable hair transplants (from lack of adequate density becuase of limited donor). They just "shave or buzz it down" and move on, and try to find ways to disguise their donor scars.

Take a look at these threads on the hairlosshelp site, Re: "hair transplant repairs":

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/cate ... entercat=y

I agree for the most part and sadly this is the boat im headed in.

I somewhat disagree on the body hair thing but what i would say is if you're getting extensive grafts you need a few things as prerequisite:

- Plenty of money and time allocated for down time
- Be prepared for follow-up's , potentially each year or two
- TRAVEL to Dr Umar (or one other top surgeon...there's no room for sentiment here, be ruthelss with your choice)
- Be realistic about your expectations.

If your hairloss is clearly intent on leaving you cueball head then expecting a mop head from a hair transplant is stupid. You talk about undetectable hair transplant's but imo even some density is better than none, even if the end game is still shaving it. Remember - the hairline frames your face, some people (alot of people) lose alot from losing their entire hairline. Even a bit of a shadow can help.

It's all about expectations.

Personally, id take those slightly funny looking bodyhair hair transplant's and keep it short and styled very particularly than no hair. That's just me. People don't even look at ur hair that close. It's a problem i could deal with.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Mens Rea said:
dudemon said:
ajax said:

Agreed 100%. IMO, NW4+ is going to have issues getting decent enough density for an acceptable and convincing end result, even after all available donor is used up. You can do BHT to increase the donor, nut IMO, too much body hair on your head will look rather odd, and "odd" = detectable hair transplant.

So, IMO, NW4+ would most likley be better off just shaving or buzzing it down and forgetting about hair transplants altogether. Sure their a a few "best case scenario" examples that prove to the contrary, but most of the time NW4+ will get crappy final results from hair transplants.

From what I hae seen and read online, most NW4+ guys whoget hair transplants almost always wind up shaving their head a few years down road when they get tired of going around with detectable hair transplants (from lack of adequate density becuase of limited donor). They just "shave or buzz it down" and move on, and try to find ways to disguise their donor scars.

Take a look at these threads on the hairlosshelp site, Re: "hair transplant repairs":

I agree for the most part and sadly this is the boat im headed in.

I somewhat disagree on the body hair thing but what i would say is if you're getting extensive grafts you need a few things as prerequisite:

- Plenty of money and time allocated for down time
- Be prepared for follow-up's , potentially each year or two
- TRAVEL to Dr Umar (or one other top surgeon...there's no room for sentiment here, be ruthelss with your choice)
- Be realistic about your expectations.

If your hairloss is clearly intent on leaving you cueball head then expecting a mop head from a hair transplant is stupid. You talk about undetectable hair transplant's but imo even some density is better than none, even if the end game is still shaving it. Remember - the hairline frames your face, some people (alot of people) lose alot from losing their entire hairline. Even a bit of a shadow can help.

It's all about expectations.

Personally, id take those slightly funny looking bodyhair hair transplant's and keep it short and styled very particularly than no hair. That's just me. People don't even look at ur hair that close. It's a problem i could deal with.

Sorry but I disagree... I think you're better off shaving your head, accepting it and getting on with life, but thats just my opinion.

I think if someone was that desperate for hair... any hair! That they should get a hair piece instead. A good head of hair regardless of whether its your own or not, will always be better than a very thin and see-through coating on top with huge scars!

Plus its easily reversable should you decide you no longer want it.

Like I said it just my opinion though :dunno:

jd_uk

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses but any replies from the people who have had a transplant?

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
dudemon said:

I appreciate your knowledege on hair transplant's! You've had 'em and I'm sure you know what you're talking about. Anyway, I still want to know what you think about the user Wesleybelgium's transplants? I think the results are wicked for roughly 5000 grafts! And he was pretty much NW5. If I'd get that much coverage on top with 5000 grafts (even with the crown untreated) I'd go immediately in the fall, after I've saved some money.