Anyone know how Vit D could help?

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are deficient and correct it could there be some help. I don't know anything about this except being deficient could effect hair. Someone with knowledge please chime in.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
I once read a study claiming the importance of Vit D and it's relationship to hair.

I can not recall the link nor do I have it bookmarked. But, Vit D is in my book important.

Sunlight for example is responsible for much more than meets the eye. No pun intended.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
So said:
I once read a study claiming the importance of Vit D and it's relationship to hair.

I can not recall the link nor do I have it bookmarked. But, Vit D is in my book important.

Sunlight for example is responsible for much more than meets the eye. No pun intended.

Yes, the active form of vitamin D3 can regulate epidermal keratinization. This is best gotten by sun exposure, but in cases which exposure is not advisable or unavailable, supplementation can be an option. I personally use Cod Liver Oil during the winter months to ensure my quota of D3. As in most fat soluble vitamins, there is a point where excess can prove detrimental, so more is not better.

liquidfirex

Reaction score
I read somewhere that on a suny day you can produce a good 10,000 UI of vitamin D, and that the RDA of 800UI was Wayy too low.

I was looking into it's effects on the thyroid and it's metabolic pathways.
I think it's important and have started taking it personally, mind you I DO live in Canada.

AquaNet

Reaction score
so using a sunbed for example would help hair loss, and the side effect for short term use from UVA/UVB wouldn't be so bad, or in the sun to get some vit d, but im now curious on how much vit D can help..

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't know if a sunbed will work in the same manner as the real thing. But hey for some of us in the winter it is all we have.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The average person doesn't get nearly enough vitamin D, especially if you're housebound, or don't live in warm sunny climates. You want to shoot for as much as 70-80ng/ml; I would suggest 2000-3000mcgs daily. The current recommended RDA is WAY too low.

Just make sure to not bother with the synthetic version. And you also only want to take vitamin D with some type of lipid (fish, vegetable, olive etc.) As a precursor to cholesterol, vitamin D is only truly absorbed while administered with a fat soluble substance. Otherwise, you'd be wasting your time and money. Cod liver oil is also a great fat-soluble source of both vitamin D and A.