Anyone take risperidon?

Reaction score
I recently when to consult a phychiatrist and divulged how arduous and stressful it was coping with this dreaded hairloss.I even began to have hallucinations that ppl were staring at my hair ,ridiculing and lambasting me.I developed a phobia of going outside or confronting ppl.Although it has subsided a little,it stills proves quite an obstacle and ocassionally i feel mortified in public . Anyway my doctor recomended risperidon to help placid me and and make me my gregarious self again. Is anyone familiar with the drug and does it have any hair loss side effects?hope someone can enligthen me...thanks!

Darren1905

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm an experienced Psychiatric Nurse and have administered and observed for side effects of Risperidone (Risperidal) in many of the patients I care for.

Common side effects include insomnia, weight gain, agitation, anxiety and headache. Less frequent side effects include somnolence, tiredness, dizziness, poor concentration, nausea, and dysfunctions of erection, ejaculation and orgasm.

However, remember that not everyone sees these side effects and if you do they may well be to a very small degree. One very goo dthing about Risperidone is the safeness of the drug to many other anti-psychotic medications - with regards to coronary problems. Put simply - it's one of the safest types of these drugs around today.

In clinical trials and studies no side effects have related to direct hair loss so don't worry. It will however help in calming you down when in public situations. You will think a bit clearer and have less over-active worrying going on about your hairloss.

Hope this helps.

Darren.

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the info.I have another query which i hope u can assist with.It is possible to take the medicine sporadically and still have the same benefits?Would there be any adverse effects.Also would I would grow accustom and dependant on it or could I halt its usage anytime?Thanks again!

Darren1905

Reaction score
Taking the drug sporadically would affect the levels in your bloodstream and as a result affect the drug's effectiveness. It's advisable to take the risperidone regularly - as prescribed - to create a balance.

If you take it sporadically - the adverse effect will be that it won't work.

You will not grow accustomed to or dependant on risperidone either - low tolernaces may build up over time but that isn't something you should worry about now. You won't become dependant on the drug, however it is advsiable to consult your doctor before discontinuing usage. He may want to reduce it first or he may well discontinue it immediately - this all really depends on your progress with the drug and it's dosage.