Anyone Tried Dermarolling With Minoxidil?

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm thinking of microneedling once or twice a week with minoxidil twice daily, any one had results with that??

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do dermarolling with Minixidil+Finasteride. I coudn't quantify the success of dermarolling alone, as it was added to my regime roughly 18 months ago. I would say my scalp definitely feels healthier and I've been experiencing much less itching (apart from the recovery process shortly after a 'wounding' session with dermarolling.
I do a mixture of 0.5mm (every few days, for improved absorption) and 1mm (no more than once a week, light wounding). It seems that no-one knows whether wounding is necessary or whether focussing mainly on improved absorption is favourable. I'm continuing with dermarolling as it is an affordable treatment and makes my scalp feel better.

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do dermarolling with Minixidil+Finasteride. I coudn't quantify the success of dermarolling alone, as it was added to my regime roughly 18 months ago. I would say my scalp definitely feels healthier and I've been experiencing much less itching (apart from the recovery process shortly after a 'wounding' session with dermarolling.
I do a mixture of 0.5mm (every few days, for improved absorption) and 1mm (no more than once a week, light wounding). It seems that no-one knows whether wounding is necessary or whether focussing mainly on improved absorption is favourable. I'm continuing with dermarolling as it is an affordable treatment and makes my scalp feel better.
Did you notice regrowth with it along with minoxidil and finasteride?

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say my hairline marginally improved. There are very short strands which went from invisible fluffy vellus hair to darker visible hairs (but would not grow past 0.5 to 1cm). The crown is a bit more difficult to tell, as the length grew which could give the false appearance of better coverage.
I know I'm missing one of the big three (Nizoral shampoo etc). If I understand it correctly, the shampoo is mainly to stimulate blood flow (which dermarolling arguably does a better job) or prevent inflammation (which dermarolling seems to help if you don't overdo the wounding). I'd say go for dermarolling...you really have very little to lose if you can commit the effort.

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say my hairline marginally improved. There are very short strands which went from invisible fluffy vellus hair to darker visible hairs (but would not grow past 0.5 to 1cm). The crown is a bit more difficult to tell, as the length grew which could give the false appearance of better coverage.
I know I'm missing one of the big three (Nizoral shampoo etc). If I understand it correctly, the shampoo is mainly to stimulate blood flow (which dermarolling arguably does a better job) or prevent inflammation (which dermarolling seems to help if you don't overdo the wounding). I'd say go for dermarolling...you really have very little to lose if you can commit the effort.
I use a 2% generic ketoconazole shampoo and I added it to my regimen just two weeks ago and use it every other day and it has helped in decreasing the shed drastically so I think maybe give it a try if you need an extra boost, anyways what was the size of the dermaroller you used? the study says 1.5 mm but I feel it's going to hurt like a b**ch

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use a 2% generic ketoconazole shampoo and I added it to my regimen just two weeks ago and use it every other day and it has helped in decreasing the shed drastically so I think maybe give it a try if you need an extra boost, anyways what was the size of the dermaroller you used? the study says 1.5 mm but I feel it's going to hurt like a b**ch
I may just give it a chance...although I didn't seem to have gone through the shedding phase (either that or it was difficult to notice due to my lengthy hair). What I am afraid of is Nizoral's potential to dry my hair out.
I started out with 0.25mm roller to get the skin acquainted to the feeling, then stepped up to 0.5mm and 1mm stamps (more practical than rollers for longer hair). The study was based on 1.5mm, but there seemed to be no confirmation on whether the regrowth was due to wounding or simply increasing blood circulation. I feel a little apprehensive about going up to 1.5mm, as 1mm already causes notable wounding...

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I may just give it a chance...although I didn't seem to have gone through the shedding phase (either that or it was difficult to notice due to my lengthy hair). What I am afraid of is Nizoral's potential to dry my hair out.
I started out with 0.25mm roller to get the skin acquainted to the feeling, then stepped up to 0.5mm and 1mm stamps (more practical than rollers for longer hair). The study was based on 1.5mm, but there seemed to be no confirmation on whether the regrowth was due to wounding or simply increasing blood circulation. I feel a little apprehensive about going up to 1.5mm, as 1mm already causes notable wounding...
Well yes the keto shampoo makes my hair drier as I have long hair too, but I try to condition and use a leave in conditioner just to balance things out and it's fine, just find a product that doesn't weight your hair down. Thanks for the feedback about the roller I think I'll start by a .5 roller or stamp and move my way up to 1.0 mm