Anyone try TCI's for hair growth ?

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
TCI's are topical calcineurins inhibitors. Bascially the NFAT-1 - calceineurin pathway is responsible for keeping hair in quiescenence and not divinding and proliferating into more hair cells. Calcerineurins inhibitors will inhibit this pathway and activate growth of new hair cells potentially. Heres some quotes from some papers I have been reading. Also keep in mind this is a major activity of the immunosupressent cyclosporin A and why some completly balding men can grow their hair back on CSA.

One of the most common side effects of treatment with cyclosporin A (CsA) is hypertrichosis. This study shows that calcineurin activity is associated with hair keratinocyte differentiation in vivo, affecting nuclear factor of activated T cells (NFAT1) activity in these cells.

CsA inhibited the expression of keratinocyte terminal differentiation markers associated with catagen, along with the inhibition of calcineurin and NFAT1 nuclear translocation. This was associated with induction of hair growth in nude mice and retardation of spontaneous catagen induction in depilated normal mice.

These data provide the first evidence that calcineurin is functionally active in follicular keratinocytes and that inhibition of the calcineurin-NFAT1 pathway in these cells in vivo by CsA enhances hair growth.

As stem cells become activated during hair growth, NFATc1 is downregulated, relieving CDK4 repression and activating proliferation. When calcineurin/NFATc1 signaling is suppressed, pharmacologically or via complete or conditional NFATc1 gene ablation, stem cells are activated prematurely, resulting in precocious follicular growth. Our findings may explain why patients receiving cyclosporine A for immunosuppressive therapy display excessive hair growth

Now what I purpose is using TCI's which are normal used in the Treatment of Atopic Dermatitis to induce new hair proliferation. It may work, and it may not, but I can't imagine they would be too damn expensive.

Also this not a pathway you want going throughout your body which is why im adding an journal artice about absorption of TCI's

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=18243104

http://ajpcell.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/284/6/C1593

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
too scientific?.. maybe I should move this thread to experimental...

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
You can ge this product at unitedpharmacies.com.

http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/customer/product.php?productid=164&cat=0&page=1

Unfortunately they are no longer shipping to Canada.

If anyone in the states wants to a free tube or two i may be willing to buy it for them plus my order if they will send it to me across the border. This research is outstanding and looks like an untapped resource for proliferating and differentiating hair follicles.

Jack

Reaction score
Interesting , what do you think are the chances that this NFAT-1 - calceineurin inhibition would work in growing hair ? Would it only work in a percentage of people , like those who don't respond well to dht inhibitors? Or is it worth a try for everyone?
thanks in advance

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan: not too sure where they are located over seas somewhere, but alot of people on here use them. They do ship to the US.

Jack: I will give you my personal theory. Hair follicle differentiation and it's phases are effected by so many different protein and transcription factor signalling pathways, this is why no one has found a set cure for this "disease". DHT inhibitors do effect one critical pathway. I think Wnt signalling is another, along with IGF-1 signalling. And this is just touching a few of the hundreds of pathway that tell your epidermal cells to make a hair follicle and how that hair follicle should act.

I feel as though a major factor in the apoptosis (cell death) that leads to the catagen phase in hair follicles (loses pigmentation and becomes much less thinck) is the auto immune response. Sometimes the body doesn't know wheter to mount a response because it may be getting the wrong signals and decides such follicles are dangerous to the host. Inflammation is a great immune response the body is equiped with, unfortunatley it is bad for your hair. Also unfortunately it's not that simple, as anti-inflammatories themselves have proven pretty useless.

This topical calcenuerin inhibitor will descrease the immune system locally which will also act as an anti inflammatory. It is proven without this response it is easier to for hair to proliferate and differentiate. (The hair bulge stem cells have an easier time becoming strong hair follicles).

It doesn't work on everyone, no. I don't know if anyone has actually tried to inhibit this pathway for a decent amount of time. (Im thinking 6 months). But oral cyclosproin which hits the same pathways grows hair all over your body and head even on some norwood 5's and 6's. Using it locally would be much better though, as there is very little systematic absorption in these topicals.

I do however want to find more ways to tell the dermal cells to become hair follicles. Perhaps using a GSK inhibitor (which itself is a Wnt inhibitor). This si the pathway i think Histogen is focusing on. Increased Wnt will differentiate more hair follicles. Also using some other growth factors might help...theres tons out there, I may try a few.

and that's my 2 cents for now...