AoR's Story

AoR

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
So my story is probably very typical. I'm 24 years old and first noticed my temporal recession when I was 20. I managed to keep the thought of going bald out of my head for as long as possible, but before long there was no question I was receding.

Even though my hair loss was barley noticeable in the first two years, I still became crazy self-conscious about it. I began growing my hair long and parting it in really strange ways so I could comb the hair over my exposed temples. I at one point purchased a bottle of Rogaine and tried putting it on my temples, but the bottle's warnings that it wouldn't work on the hairline and the fear of shedding even more hair scared me away.

About two and half years into my hairloss, about when I graduated from college, I experienced by most shocking discovery when I realized both that the crown/vertex area of my head was mildly thinning, and that the previously thick center tuft of my hairline was also beginning to recede. This was definitely the most stressful part of the process as I was finally entering the phase where I could no longer completely conceal the loss. It was clear not just to me, but also to anyone paying attention, that I was balding.....

So fast forward to now, I've gained quite a lot of prospective. My hair loss is definitely noticeable, but it's still progressing relatively slowly, and I'm still looking pretty good. I luckily found a super-supportive girlfriend that assures me I would be attractive even if I were totally bald! And now I deeply regret being so self-conscious about my hair in those early days, especially since I still had a magnificent head of hair. These days I know to be happy about what I have left. And thanks to sites like this I know there really are ways to fight this process!

After lots of research I'm finally starting to develop my regime! Right now I'm only doing minoxidil twice a day, but I will very shortly be adding at least one shampoo, and eventually I'm going to give finasteride a try.

So yea, that's my story, I hope it wasn't too long! I'll post updates as they (hopefully) come!

moonbase

Reaction score
Goodluck man! Perspective is everything. I lost a great girl because I drowned myself in self-pity when my hair looked FINE. Ahh, why must hindsight be 20/20 ;) Glad to hear things are looking up.

I also just started minoxidil. You should look into folligen lotion and or hair signals. They are great additions. I have experienced hair growth from them. They aren't wonder drugs but they keep the scalp in top condition and thicken hair shafts.

Keep us updated.

Trues

Reaction score
Wow, AoR, I should copy-paste your story, because it sounds exactly like mine. I'm starting a regimen soon, so I'll keep looking to yours for hope!

AoR

Reaction score
Just a little update on my story...

Been taking minoxidil and Keto shampoo for roughly 2 months now. I actually started taking finasteride for a solid two weeks, but after having a long discussion with my girlfriend (who was moved to research the drug after I started taking it) we both decided it wasn't worth the risks.

As far as my progress I'm definitely very happy with the results so far. I just got a new hair cut and there is definitely a visible improvement. I would say the Norwood 2 area of my hairline is definitely filling in, although it is quite thin still.

This past friday my band played a show and I'm very pleased with how my hair looks in all the pictures. I used some concealer (Dermmatch) and styled it and I'd say I look like a solid Norwood 2!

My one problem now is that I do need to find some sort of DHT blocking agent, but I'm not sure if any of the other options (besides finasteride and dutasteride) are worth the hassle/money. If anyone has any incite in that regard I'll welcome it as always!

AoR

Reaction score
Update 1.5

Hey everyone..I just wanted to jump in here and update this. It's been about 1.5 years, and I think I have done a good job of maintaining my hair! I've pretty much have just been using Rogaine.

Since I have been receptive, I am thinking of giving finasteride another go. If I can maybe thicken up my current hair and then continue to maintain into my 30s I will be content.

Anyway, picks attached got a little mixed up....the middle one is the "before" picture, and the left and right were taken this week.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 178
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 173
  • After2.jpg
    After2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 185

Carlito

Reaction score
Looks ok. If you can afford it, I'd got for a FUE transplant to fix up the hairline.