Applying very small dose of finasteride topically

Heyman

Reaction score
We know finasteride works topically... Even more effective then using it the usual way and you can use a smaller dose. Side-effects are still present though, since it gets systemic. But no one tested how low you could do with topical dose and still get an effect? Because e.g. an oral dose of 0.01mg does not do anything, while 0.2mg is close to as effective as as 5mg. What if you use a topical dose of e.g. 0.02mg, would you still get the same effects for the scalp (since the dose passes the scalp first and binds to the receptors (is that true?)) but no systemic ones? Why has this not been tested, or is my logic wrong somehow?

Just using eough so it penetrates the scalp and binds to the receptors on the scalp and not enough will be able to go systemic, not? Or does it first get into the blood and then transferred from there through the body into the scalp?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For me, finasteride has only helped to maintain, no regrowth. I do apply topical finasteride and take oral finasteride (every other day). However, I cant say if it has an effect. Furthermore, apparently there was study done on topical finasteride but showed no significant (I dont remember where I saw the study but you could do a quick search yourself, if you want to see it).

beaner

Reaction score
We know finasteride works topically... Even more effective then using it the usual way....

We do?

I've been browsing this forum for years and have never seen any studies or evidence that indicates finasteride works topically. Please provide some evidence that it is "even more effective than using it the usual way." I'm very curious.

Heyman

Reaction score
We do?

I've been browsing this forum for years and have never seen any studies or evidence that indicates finasteride works topically. Please provide some evidence that it is "even more effective than using it the usual way." I'm very curious.
I saw someone quote a study quite some time ago, that the same dose of topical finasteride was able to reduce DHT in the scalp more, or a smaller dose to the same extent, not exactly sure... I thought this was common knowledge. I'll try and find the source again.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw someone quote a study quite some time ago, that the same dose of topical finasteride was able to reduce DHT in the scalp more, or a smaller dose to the same extent, not exactly sure... I thought this was common knowledge. I'll try and find the source again.

This is true, in fact topical application of finasteride is much more effective HOWEVER if it gets into the bloodstream, you can expect the same side effects.

Heyman

Reaction score
This is true, in fact topical application of finasteride is much more effective HOWEVER if it gets into the bloodstream, you can expect the same side effects.
Yes, but side effects (DHT reduction) does not occur at e.g. a dose of 0.01mg, only at 0.05mg. So what if you chose the right dosage which would get mostly absorbed by the scalp and then not much (or <0.01mg) is left to enter the bloodstream, not enough to reduce DHT in your whole body?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Why they don't get finasteride in a liposomal topical form? So it stays in the skin for a long time and works at the cellular level?