Archon's Story (26 y/o, diffuser)

Archon

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here but I've been lurking for a few months already. The site has been a really big help, but anyways on with my story! I'm 26 right now, not too far from 27 and I would say I first noticed the hairloss about a year ago. It's just so hard to nail down a specific time because of the way the diffuse thinning just snuck up on me and by the time I realized something was going on quite a bit of damage had already been done. Also I never thought to examine the hair on the crown area which you never see in the mirror, so that part really hit me like a ton of bricks! :(

So far besides the vitamin supplements listed in my regimen, all I've been using is the Nizoral 2% 2 or 3 times every week and also the generic minoxidil twice a day. For the first month I used just 1mL minoxidil for each application, but at the start of the second month (seeing as how I have such a large area in need of treatment) I upped the dose to 2mL each time.

It's not so bad right now and despite the frequent sheds from the minoxidil I actually haven't lost any more hair than what I had when I started and if anything I'm making slow gains on the front of the hairline - mostly a bunch of little "baby hairs" though. So at least I'm holding my ground, but I know I can't keep this up forever without throwing either finasteride or dutasteride into the mix. My plan is to start on finasteride as soon as I possibly can but I just can't afford it right now. Hopefully very soon I will!

Anyway here are some pics to give you an idea of how bad it is.

general "arms-length" view:
front01.jpg

it looks a lot worse close up, though:
forehead01.jpg

close-up of the right side, which is actually quite a bit worse than the left:
right01.jpg

and finally the crown area:
crown01.jpg

Also if anyone could give me opinions of where I probably fall on the Norwood chart I'd appreciate it. More to come whenever I get some more news to report!

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Looks like NW4 to me..
Did I read right that you are on minoxidil for 2 months? Well you should only start seeing progress in a month or two months time so be patient on that.
as for the finasteride well if you decide to go on it then shop around on the net, you'd be suprised at the prices you can get. Good luck.

Archon

Reaction score
Yes, I've only been using minoxidil for 2 months so far. I'm glad to be just holding ground right now until I can start propecia. If my father is any indication I will be destined for NW7 territory if I just let things go naturally so that's not an option. :sobbing:

edit: I found some pics I could post for comparison

taken Oct 2007, before I ever suspected anything
(I suppose I could have been thinning in the back still and not known)
102007.jpg

from Feb 2006
my hair was longer then and I always kept it pulled back
022006.jpg

Archon

Reaction score
I noticed that too, but at that time I took the picture for some reason it never occured to me in those days. Hairloss just wasn't something that I had ever thought about or worried about. Just wasn't even on my radar for some reason (which was stupid of me, considering my family history).

Oh well, live and learn.. :dunno:

Still, I'm not that picky. If I could have it the way it was in that 2007 pic for the rest of my life I'd be one happy camper.