Are Hair Tranplants Dying Off In Popularity?

djhype

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was interested at first because I wanted real hair but the price and the risks and generally poor results are insane.

Right now Micro scalp pigmentation and especially learning to diy my own hair system seems much more appealing!

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you think hair transplants are falling in popularity?

There is always a growing demand for it, especially for countries such as Turkey where this kind of tourism is booming. Unfortunately, this means many new clinics with no known reputation and greedy unethical clinics are coming out of the woodwork with fake reviews on forums everywhere (many here too, so if you see one report it ASAP), which makes getting it done in Turkey a bit of a landmine. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who goes out of their way to fake reviews is unlikely to have an ethical practice, so they are the ones to avoid.

In this day and age, it is easy to research into the 'big three' as well as various options such as micro scalp pigmentation/concealing products/hair systems, so it's not surprising that people are considering those options too, but as far as I can see, there is still a growing demand for hair transplant.

You just have to look at the 'new research and technologies' section of this forum and it becomes apparent that none of these 'promising' technologies are anywhere near, and the few recent findings which seemed to have potential (sandalore, Brotzu lotion, RU etc) all turned out to be barely capable of maintaining, or at best producing vellus hair that will never turn terminal for most cases. Hair transplants are here to stay.

Last edited:

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The quality of transplants greatly improved in the 2000s over the plugs of the 80s and 90s and the advent of the FUE, and the industry had seen a bit of a revival. But in the last few years it has indeed started to wane they are just too expensive, the results too poor, and no one has enough donor hair which is a risk as there are no known medications that reliably stop miniaturization of hair.

S14a

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd definitely say their popularity is increasing especially with the amount of celebrities and athletes having the procedure carried out.

djhype

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd definitely say their popularity is increasing especially with the amount of celebrities and athletes having the procedure carried out.
So mega rich people, some of which still can't get a decent result.

With hair systems you can get results that blow away any transplant overnight, but the upkeep makes it a lot less appealing in that sense. Though there is a lot more certainty of the result. So many things can go wrong with a transplant.

S14a

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So mega rich people, some of which still can't get a decent result.

With hair systems you can get results that blow away any transplant overnight, but the upkeep makes it a lot less appealing in that sense. Though there is a lot more certainty of the result. So many things can go wrong with a transplant.
I think you need to do more research, a lot of reliable affordable surgeons out there...some more than others yes but it's definitely a growing industry as transplants and cosmetic surgery have become more the norm in todays society.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the whole 'so many things can go wrong with a transplant' view is correct in principle, which is the reason we need to do more background research to choose the one who is right for you.
For far too long, hair transplants could only be afforded by the well-off, until Turkey came along with their low prices undercutting everyone else. While this is often viewed as a good thing by many, unfortunately the surge in popularity has led to greed. Many clinics have spotted this gold mine opportunity as demands increased where they are able to keep prices low, so many unethical surgeons exploit this market, hence further tarnishing people's general view on hair transplants.
If every potential client bothers to take their time evaluating their choice of surgeon instead of being sucked in by the fake reviews for low priced clinics, we will hopefully hear fewer cases of failure.

Recently, someone has posted positive experience on a clinic in Serbia (although their consistency has been questioned by another user). Also Dr. B I S A N G A and Dr. Cole have joined forces on a clinic base in Athens (although it will be mostly other surgeons performing the tasks), providing prices in between western Europe and Turkish standards. Hopefully in time we will hear more positive testimony on such place so they can take some businesses away from the greedy Turkish clinics with low ethics.

In brief, I would say if you can afford it, avoid Turkey.
If Turkey is the only affordable option, scrutinize each surgeon VERY carefully or be treated like you have ATM tattooed on your forehead.
Also avoid UK where the prices are high and quality is low.

Last edited: