Article I Found from the Harvard website

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Please explain your reasoning for that statement.

Reaction score
Because l-lysine helps to maintain healthy blood vessels. While I believe DHT and not circulation to be the real problem, it would suggest that l-lysine could certainly help hair growth.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
MontyWockenfuss said:
Because l-lysine helps to maintain healthy blood vessels.

I hate to appear obtuse, but where did you get the idea that lysine helps to maintain healthy blood vessels?

Bryan

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think L-lysine has been talked about a few times on this site as well. Do a search. I think L-lysine and MSM do basically the same thing. I get sick when I take those 1000 mg L-lysine pills if I don't eat IMMEDIATELY aftwords. But for some reason MSM doesn't do that. I think the bottle of ll said that it has some "fast acting" stuff or something. Yep, it says "rapid release super absorb" on the bottle. So anyway, if you get ll, don't get that stuff unless you plan on taking it with a meal. It certainly is rapid release. I almost puked because of it once when I was late for work, didn't have time to eat, but popped one and forgot about the need to eat right away.

Anywho, MSM states that it is good for general cellular regrowth/regeneration blah blah blah. I like it. makes me feel better, even in the gym.

There's my opinion.

Good luck.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
MontyWockenfuss said:
http://www.thebaldtruth.com/products/lysine.htm

There are a lot of other places that talk about blood vessels and l-lysine. Do a google search using both terms and you'll see tons of stuff come up.
Definitely list them because the link above is not from a reputable source.

HairLossTalk.com

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
MontyWockenfuss said:
http://www.thebaldtruth.com/products/lysine.htm

I think that lysine patent for hairgrowth is pure poppycock. I've never been able to find anything in the medical literature supporting that claim. I think it was just fabricated by some group of people to make money with their lysine product. They can say, "Hey look! It's patented!" :)

MontyWockenfuss said:
There are a lot of other places that talk about blood vessels and l-lysine. Do a google search using both terms and you'll see tons of stuff come up.

I did do that, and I read a couple pages of Google listings from that search. Looks like it's all related to Pauling's theory about vitamin C, lysine, and proline and their alleged relation to atherosclerosis. But with all due respect to Pauling, I really doubt that lysine's going to have any effect on balding! I'm not even convinced (yet) that it's really involved with heart disease.

Bryan

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
>>I did do that, and I read a couple pages of Google listings from that search. Looks like it's all related to Pauling's theory about vitamin C, lysine, and proline and their alleged relation to atherosclerosis. But with all due respect to Pauling, I really doubt that lysine's going to have any effect on balding! I'm not even convinced (yet) that it's really involved with heart disease. <<

So Bryan, the regularly referenced `common' factor of hair growth and `fluid' characteristics, still confuses you? Ah well, one day the penny might drop!!

S Foote.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
S Foote. said:
Ah well, one day the penny might drop!!

I've never heard that expression! Is that a Britishism? :)

What precisely does it mean? Something like "One day it'll finally happen"?

Bryan

G

it means one day you will realise.

kinda like one day all the cogs will drop into place and suddenly the machinery of your brain will see what has been obvious all along.

that kinda thing

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
tynanW said:

Thanks, Tynan, only you didn't say anything about whether or not that's a Britishism! I assume it is, since YOU know what it means, and you clearly seem to be British (you spell the word "realize" with an "s", like Brits insist on doing)! :roll:

Bryan

G

Bryan said:
tynanW said:

Thanks, Tynan, only you didn't say anything about whether or not that's a Britishism! I assume it is, since YOU know what it means, and you clearly
seem to be British (you spell the word "realize" with an "s", like Brits insist on doing)! :roll:

Bryan

I am British, I have not heard of the phrase 'a Britishism', but living in Britain I am unlikely to have.

'The penny drops' is a common phrase here in the UK.

'Realise' is the correct spelling, as is 'colour'. We were first. All your words that deviate from the original English are simply the result of
errors that have found their way into common exceptance.

And what's with the Bryan, Brian?

Ty

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
I am British, I have not heard of the phrase 'a Britishism', but living in Britain I am unlikely to have.

How do you folks refer to strange habits or customs or word usage that we Americans have? Wouldn't you refer to them as "Americanisms"?

tynanW said:

Ok, I'll make a note that! I'm interested in word usage and how it varies from one place to another, like how "pissed" means "angry" over here, but it means "drunk" in your neck of the woods.

tynanW said:
'Realise' is the correct spelling, as is 'colour'. We were first. All your words that deviate from the original English are simply the result of errors that have found their way into common exceptance.

Oops, hang on for a moment, I've got something stuck in my throat...

cough:cough:cough:cough:cough:cough:bullshit:cough:cough:cough

Ok, I feel fine now. Sorry about that. BTW, I love your use of the word "exceptance" above! Is that another "Britishism", or just a simple goof? :D

tynanW said:

LOL!

Bryan

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
'Realise' is the correct spelling, as is 'colour'. We were first. All your words that deviate from the original English are simply the result of

I'm with you there Ty , we were first :lol:

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
Bryan said:
tynanW said:

Thanks, Tynan, only you didn't say anything about whether or not that's a Britishism! I assume it is, since YOU know what it means, and you clearly
seem to be British (you spell the word "realize" with an "s", like Brits insist on doing)! :roll:

Bryan

Ty

Thanks for putting our friends in the colonies straight here Tynan :lol:

Another `Brit' phrase that could apply to some on these forums is, "All fur coat and no knickers"

Meaning all show and no substance!

S Foote.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Getting back on track, I think I read (and I know you guys hate it when we start out that way) that minoxidil is thought to enhance hair growth by increasing... is it blood vessels in general, or just those potassium K channels... er somethin'?

Anyway, question is: Is there anything out there that supports healthy blood vessels that we might want to try using to further combat hair loss? Might even help our heart and be good for overall health as well.

Also, I made the comment before that I find it interesting that hair loss often occurs on the temples and vertex of the scalp. Do you agree that those are the "pointy" parts of the head? While the skin on the sides and back of the head are plush, the scalp is tight and thin. This does seem to correlate to the Harvard article.

You're thoughts?

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
blood vessels... you'll want something that promotes angiogenesis .. many types of invasive cancers secrete them.

The Gardener

Reaction score
tynanW said:

Actually, the spelling differences between American English and English as spoken in other nations were not a result of errors at all. They were deliberate alterations that were published in the first "Webster's Dictionary of American English" in the early 1800's. Webster created this dictionary and intentionally changed the spelling of certain word cognates with the specific end intent of creating a new variant of the language. Our nations weren't getting on well at the time, and Webster's Dictionary of American English was specifically chosen by bureaucrats at the time as the standard to be used in all schools, etc.

Thus, this is why us Americans are the only English speakers in the world to officially use these different spelling variations. Even our neighbors, er, whoops, I mean neighbours, the Canadians use the British spelling of words such as colour/color and centre/center.

Personally, I think that some of the American spellings make better phonetic sense, but then again I hate how many other words have been altered since then such as "thru" instead of "through", etc. It is so ghetto. But one thing I can say with certainty is that in both England and America the word "exceptance" in the context above really should have been spelled acceptance. Don't blame Webster for that one.