At wits end.

Dallas25

Reaction score
Hey ladies and gents, this is my first post here. My names Emmet and I really need your advice on what to do.

For about the last year now i have noticed that my hair is receding, which started off on one side. Here I noticed the temples beginning to go back and then this spread to the front of the head and now the other temple. The thing that I can't understand however is a small part of the front side of my hairline receded, I always thought male pattern baldness never effected the sides?

When I look through my hair I can see smaller black hairs growing, however could this just be the hairs getting smaller and weaker with every cycle?

Sorry if my post is all over the place, I am on my phone and also quite stressed atm, well actually for the last 6 years!

I don't know who to turn to as the doctors in the UK see hairloss as no issue though they did run the usual array of tests which all came back ok, when I asked them about finasteride you would have though I had just shot their child!

Thanks again ladies and gents....

Ps what I am pointing to is where my original hairline was and they few hairs that are left sprouting out.

Attachments

• 1455194163369.jpg
    1455194163369.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 20160209_171008_HDR.jpg
    20160209_171008_HDR.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 266

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
It looks like your hairline is receding. The good news is you still have a good head of hair.

If you can't get a prescription from a doctor, your only choice is to order online. I have no clue what the laws are like or how much customs crack down on stuff like finasteride, but many guys here order online.

If you go that route, you will have to find a reputable online pharmacy with good reviews, preferably with users here who have tested the finasteride to make sure it's real. Even then, you will want to use a one time use debit card or credit card number, as even though these pharmacies are legit, your financial information can often fall in the wrong hands, most likely due to lax security on their part.

Again, the good news is that lots of people resort to online pharmacies and it's not too much more expensive than a prescription. You just gotta do your research and use caution.

Your balding, again, is also not severe. If you start treatments soon your hair should thicken up and maintain, provided you respond well to it.

Dallas25

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply matey, tried the tug test and get about one hair come out each time, whatever that means :/

You think try minoxidil or straight on Finasteride? Also what are the small hairs growing, they are the same colour as my own hair. Thanks again, I sort of thought it was going. It's the horror stories that freak me out, but either tablets or go bald.

One more thing, is there anything in the pipeline for hairloss in the future that will help if I can hold on to what's there already?

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply matey, tried the tug test and get about one hair come out each time, whatever that means :/

You think try minoxidil or straight on Finasteride? Also what are the small hairs growing, they are the same colour as my own hair. Thanks again, I sort of thought it was going. It's the horror stories that freak me out, but either tablets or go bald.

One more thing, is there anything in the pipeline for hairloss in the future that will help if I can hold on to what's there already?

Tug test won't tell you much.

As far as minoxidil, start with finasteride. You need finasteride to stop the hairloss, minoxidil will not stop it, only promote thickening and regrowth. finasteride itself can also give you some regrowth if you are lucky. If you start both at the same time, you will never know which did what. Some people don't even respond to minoxidil, so you see what I am getting at. You would be on minoxidil for the rest of your life "just in case". Your balding is not really that advanced, and you won't see full results from finasteride for about 2 years, so get on finasteride for at least a year and assess how much it has helped you- at that point you can decide if you need to add minoxidil to your routine.

Small hairs can be anything, miniaturized hairs which have balded or just hairs that were like that when your hairline matured- who knows. RE: tablets or go bald, that all depends on the male pattern baldness in your family. If you have a lot of bald/balding male relatives, that is what you can expect in the future. But it's best not to wait- the more years you wait to treat it, that harder it gets to treat.

As far as the future of hairloss products, there is a lot of stuff being discussed on this forum...in fact if you look, there is a sub-forum specifically for new research and treatments. We are always waiting for something new, believe me. The biggest treatments coming soon are called Histogen and Replicel, look around on the forums and you will find lots about it. Tons of other ones too. One I have my eye on right now is a lotion invented by some Italian doctor that apparently can regrow hair. Sounds like snake oil but the scientific mechanisms discussed in his research sound realistic.

The big thing with hair treatments is, they are ALWAYS hyped up more than they deliver. We're all holding out hope and you should too, but just start with finasteride, because that still might be the best thing we have for another 5-10 years. You're treating your balding early, in any case, so take comfort in that.

Dallas25

Reaction score
Thanks mate for reply. I have some generic 5mg Finasteride here atm and it's burning a hole in the couch lol. I just worry there is no one to supervise or assist me cause the doctor don't give a ****. Thanks a lot matey, much appreciated!

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
You probably know but just make sure you break that pill into 4ths or 5ths since 5mg is a pretty large dose. Anyway, for help just ask and search the forums. Good luck.