Att Old Baldy: help with a homemade cream

Jacobo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Old Baldy.

I am starting a new regimen, and I thought that it was not fair that you and CCS had all the fun. I am going to make a night applic. cream.

I have a very cheap 10% green tea extract cream pre-made. I want to use it as a base for spironolactone (3% ish), and maybe some Phenytoin (I want to try if filtering spironolactone's filler, it won't react whit Phen. and then smell).

In Spain I can get what we call alcohol (96% ethanol) dirt cheap, like 1$ 1 litre. Would you mix the spironolactone with ethanol before adding to the Green tea cream? Also, any proportions that you recommend?

I am planning to make up for a month use night time. Should I keep in the fridge, and use any conserver?

Any other addition's suggestions wellcome. Many Thanks.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
I don't mix spironolactone. with phenytoin. Too stinky!

Dr. Proctor has figured it out but not me. (Tempo or Tempol might be what keeps Dr. Proctor's stuff from reacting badly? Tempo and/or Tempol are hard to get for us amateurs though. These two chemicals are great anti-oxidants (they "trap" the free radicals) and are used by industry to preserve paper and plastics besides being used for medical purposes.)

Doctor Proctor calls Tempo and/or Tempol spin labels but they still stop the free radical reaction permanently. I guess by a little different mechanism than a true spin trap?

Euculyptus oil can prevent the smell when mixing spironolactone. and phenytoin but I don't know if that is only "masking" the smell and there is still a bad reaction? You know, it is spoiling but you just don't smell it?

Btw, the stinky smell didn't occur until about 1-2 weeks after mixing the spironolactone. and phenytoin but I just don't chance mixing those two anymore. I don't think filtering the spironolactone. will stop the reaction with phenytoin. It's the chemicals causing the reaction not the fillers in my layman's opinion. But you could try a small batch and let us know if the concoction gets stinky.

Alot of guys mix a little alcohol, octyl salicylate or PPG into the crushed spironolactone. or phenytoin to make a thick slurry before mixing with the cream. Don't make it too "wet" IMHO.

You could try that then mix the slurried spironolactone. and/or phenytoin into your green tea cream. Do a little at a time to see if you don't mind the filler. I don't mind filler in my creams. Don't make a full blown 60ml concoction until you find a ratio of alcohol and/or PPG slurry you can live with. (This is trial and error Jacob.)

I use Bryan's 3 percent spironolactone. recipe posted many years ago. It would be eighteen 100mg pills to 60 ml of cream. Using alcohol and/or PPG with pre-made cream should easily keep the stuff preserved for one month. When I use my own homemade creams the 3 percent spironolactone. is what I still use. You may need to have an emulsifier on hand like polysorbate 80 if your slurry makes the cream too liquid. Just squirt a little polysorbate at a time to thicken the stuff up to your satisfaction. (Trial and error Jacob!)

With phenytoin I use 2 percent. I have no idea if that's enough but I think it is from all I've read. Someone else might have better info. on how much phenytoin to use.

I put the creams in the refrigerator to make sure the stuff stays fresher. spironolactone. ain't all that stable according to Doctor Proctor.

Good luck!

Jacobo

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Old Baldy. That is sound avice. I'll keep you informed after all this Christmas rush.

BTW, being Spanish-catholic, my name is JacobO (as San Peter's brother), not Jacob son of Isaac :D

Have a nice Christmas - NY