Attention Minoxidil Veterans: I need advice!

DaveB23

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my story. I am currently 22, will be 23 in 1 month. Around the age of 19 my hair began thinning. Looking back at pictures I can clearly tell this, although at the time I didn’t really notice because it was quite subtle (and also because there is no history of hair loss in my family, at least at such an early age). The thinning began at the very top of my head and starting affecting my bangs. As I went through 19 into 20 and then into 21, the thinning started getting much worse. My bangs would be quite weak and always flap around in the wind. A bald spot at the top of my head began to grow, and I had the typical V-shape baldness begin along with the bangs problem.

Once I turned 22 the thinning started to become VERY bad and to the point where it was quite noticeable. I finally began using Minoxidil (5% Kirkland brand liquid) exactly 8 months ago, in conjunction with Nioxin shampoo. I applied the minoxidil religiously twice a day, and always added a little more to the dropper than the 1.0 mL they recommended (even though they said applying more than 1.0 mL will not accelerate results).

After going through the normal initial shedding (although it was not bad at all compared to some of the other stories I’ve heard), I began notice the hair I had becoming thicker (although the Nioxin shampoo probably contributed to this as well). After a couple months, my hair was not only thicker, but finally began filling in. I was quite ecstatic, as my hairloss was causing me great anxiety and depression at such an early age, and I was really hoping to stay away from Propecia due to the libido-related side effects.

As the months went on (3-4-5 months) my hair was noticeably fuller and thicker to those who had seen my hair when it was at its worst (such as my mom). The hair I had was stronger and thicker, the new hairs that had started growing in were also becoming thicker, and still new thin hairs were growing from what I assume had become dormant follicles before I began using the minoxidil.

By the time 6 months rolled around it was pretty difficult to notice thinning (although it was still there and my bangs were still not as strong/full as they should be). I was still very pumped, thinking that I had finally found my salvation.

Now, here are my questions to the minoxidil veterans. From month 6-8 (now) I have still seen an improvement, although I feel as though it is not improving at the same rate as it was from months 3-6. I understand this may simply be an illusion due to the fact that months 3-6 my hair was so awful, whereas now it has improved a great deal so the continued improve is not as noticeable. Has anybody else noticed this?

My main question is: How long have the minoxidil veterans here been using it, and how long did it take for you to see full regrowth (or atleast, how long until you saw your own personal best results?) 1.5 years? 2 years? More?
Also, when applying the minoxidil liquid, I often like to do it after showering. I dry my hair quite thoroughly, although it is still a tiny bit damp so that after I apply the minoxidil I can easily comb my hair back evenly. The reason I do this is because I find when I comb my hair back after applying, it dries quicker and much more evenly, and then when I push my hair forward after it dries there is no greasy residue whatsoever. This is compared to when I apply the minoxidil to completely dry hair, I do not comb it back because my hair does not comb back evenly when it is not damp. When doing it this way, the hair takes MUCH longer to dry and leaves a bit of a greasy aftertouch (even after 4-5-6 hours), not to mention it does not lay out as nicely and evenly as when I comb it back and let it dry that way.

Is it ok to apply the minoxidil to slightly damp hair and then comb it back afterwards? I’ve heard some people say this could affect absorption into the scalp, but I feel I combat this by spending a good couple minutes messaging the minoxidil all over my scalp, so by the time I comb it back the minoxidil is already absorbed.

Finally, what is the deal with 15% minoxidil? I didn’t even know this existed but I’ve seen people posting about it. Would anybody recommend upping my minoxidil to 15% after having used the 5% for 8 months now?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you so much!
- Dave

NuckyThompson

Reaction score
I'm in no way a minoxidil veteran, I'm on it for a shorter period than you are, but I wouldn't recommend changing to 15% already.

From what I know, minoxidil may lose it's potency over time, and when that happens you'll always have the stronger solutions to fall back on, instead of hopping on them right away.

highroller19

Reaction score
I started using minoxidil liquid back in 2003, it worked good for the first years, but in 2009 the DHT levels in my body probably grew to large... so I was losing hair again. I had to start finasteride to halt further hair loss (still uses minoxidil today).

My point is that you will eventually (most probably) need a DHT blocker, but you could try out other things than finasteride. Start by adding spironolactone cream to your regime for example. You could add it right away, also have a look at Nizoral shampoo...!