August8's Story - ( Please Help)

August8

Reaction score
I would like to start my post by saying thank you. This is such a terrible thing to go through but with sites like this and the people here make it somewhat easier. I hope there is someone who can help me with my problem. I used minoxidil from Nov 07 to Feb 08 with no problems but stopped because I am stupid. I started using it again Jun 08 to Aug 08 and stopped because I shed the whole time. And I am still shedding, I haven't used it for almost 5 months and I am still losing hair now than I ever did before. I was only receding at the temples and slightly at the top but now I am thinning out all over. The derm. said all my levels are fine and it's not male pattern baldness but could'nt help me aside from finasteride. Needless to say I am close to a total wreck right now and need help answering these questions.
Is there anything I or a doctor can do to stop this shedding?
Does anyone know a good hair loss doctor or derm. in the Long Island area?
Did I use minoxidil long enough to make my hair dependent on it ? (nov. to feb.-jun. to aug.)
How much time should pass before I can tell what hair isn't coming back?
What are the chances that none of it is coming back?
I know these may be difficult to answer because my EX derm. was completely clueless with them but if someone has gone through this too or knows about this situation I would greatly appreciate any help
or advice you may have. Thank you for reading this and good luck to us all.

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
You might have gained on minoxidil during your initial usage, and when you quit and restarted it might've gone into shedding phase before the new usage provided any stopping power.

If your derm says it's not male pattern baldness, I'd stop worrying, reduce your stress levels, and your hair will probably come back. However, get a second opinion if you don't trust your derm. That's all I can advise. Based on your derm's answer, I wouldn't suggest finasteride just yet.

August8

Reaction score
Thanks Monitoradiation for the reply. And yes I am going for a second opinion. Good luck bro.
Has anything like this ever happen to someone else here aside from me?