Azelaic acid recommended in the HairLossTalk.com site FAQ's

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
I just noticed something. Azaleic acid is usually put down and discounted as unnecessary whenever someone asks about it.

It is reommended in the site FAQs though:

" Since there are multiple factors in pattern loss, it is wisest to approach the problem from several angles to maximize results, as some treatments are complementary and address different underlying causes. A common fundamental approach is to use an "antiandrogen" of some kind, whether systemic (such as finasteride) or topical (such as Spironolactone or azelaic acid), and a growth stimulant such as minoxidil."

Has the opinion on azelaic acid changed and the FAQs have not been updated or is its effectiveness still a debate?

Thanks,

Mer

CCS

Reaction score
i don't know the site's official stance, but I can tell you the only value of azelaic acid is to dissolve more minoxidil when making stronger minoxidil solutions.

I believe a topical anti-androgen like spironolactone or eucapil or RU, but not flutamide, should be used in conjunction with an oral 5ar blocker, for people who want to regrow a lot of hair, and are not one of the 5% who get great results from propecia alone.

15% minoxidil is good for some people, but i can't say I'd want that much absorption even if it cost the same as 5%, but that is just me.

G

collegechemistrystudent said:
I believe a topical anti-androgen like spironolactone or eucapil or RU, but not flutamide, should be used in conjunction with an oral 5ar blocker, for people who want to regrow a lot of hair, and are not one of the 5% who get great results from propecia alone.

So you're saying that spironolactone+finasteride/dutasteride rather than finasteride/dutasteride alone will regrow more hair and maintain it for a longer period?

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
CCD,
just curious as to why you say "15% minoxidil is good for some people, but i can't say I'd want that much absorption even if it cost the same as 5%"

CCS

Reaction score
I don't want to risk systemic effects from over absorption. And i have not seen any studies that show the results of xandrox or at least compare minoxidil concentrations in the same vehicle. I think a big part of minoxidil 5% growing 50% more hair than minoxidil 2% is that it is in PPG which evaporates more slowly, delivering minoxidil over a longer period of time. Put enough on your head, and your scalp blood vessels will become saturated, and the excess will go systemic. Everyone is different, but I'm not that fond of treatment that looses all results within a week or two of stopping. I prefer SODs which may actually repair the hair to its original form, not just make it look bigger.