Azelaic Acid

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with this?

98% of DHT is reduced?

G

let me just quote bryan on this and save the time of this thread turning into another worthless one about azelaic acid.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... aic#238851

"Probably because of the following two facts which I've discussed several times:

1) The complete lack of any POSITIVE in vivo evidence. I don't know of a single experiment ever done with living animals (either humans or laboratory animals) where topical azelaic acid was proved directly to reduce DHT, or even had any effects that could be reasonably interpreted as possibly being a sign of reduced DHT.

2) The existence of some NEGATIVE in vivo evidence, which could be interpreted as evidence against the idea that DHT was being reduced. Those are studies in both humans and laboratory animals in which topical azelaic acid had no effect on the production of sebum (citations available, on request). The reduction of sebum would be an expected result, if DHT were really being reduced.

Such a consistent picture (the lack of POSITIVE evidence, and the existence of some NEGATIVE evidence) is quite damning for azelaic acid, in my opinion. "

So JDW, I've followed your stories for quite some time about your sheds from drugs. Let me tell you this. Your hair loss WILL get worse without those drugs. If you rely on just azelaic acid or even something weak along with it like topical spironolactone, you are asking for trouble. If you want to add it to a regimen that includes either finasteride or dutasteride, then go ahead, but I would not expect anything extra from it.