Azelaic Acid

SLD

Reaction score
"Azelaic acid like Retin-A is more commonly used in the treatment of acne and other skin conditions. Recently the potential effect of using azelaic acid in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia has been looked at and discussed.

Studies carried out in France in the late 80’s where to assess the effects of zinc sulphate a azelaic acid on the human skin. The result of these studies demonstrated that at high concentrations zinc could completely inhibit the activity of 5 alpha reductase. Azelaic acid was also shown to be a potent inhibitor of 5 alpha reductase. Inhibition was detectable at concentrations as low as 0.2mmol/l and was complete at 3mmol/l. When zinc, vitamin b6 and azelaic acid where added together at very low concentrations which had been ineffective alone. 90% inhibition of 5 alpha reductase was achieved."

I found this at http://www.follicle.com , 90% inhibition looks very good... "too good".

Does azelaic acid work that well? what did the site "forget" to mention?:p

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
They forgot to mention that there's no in vivo evidence that azelaic acid inhibits 5a-reductase. In fact, there's some evidence that it DOESN'T do that.

Bryan

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As Bryan said, the study was done in-vitro (non-living tissue AKA test tube).

There is no study that shows zinc, B6, and Azelaic acid inhibiting, in-vivo (living tissue), the 5a-reductase enzyme.

Personally, I use zix with Azelaic acid and I feel it has given me considerable benefit in stopping my shed. But that is just me :)

viperfish

Reaction score
Well give revivogen a go- contains azelaic acid plus other more proven ingredients. The good old ALA and GLA acids!

ColtsFan

Established Member
Reaction score
Viper/HairLossTalk.com...

does revivogen tint your hair at all? Ive got light colored hair and heard it may tint it orange??

Ive thought about doing what Bryan said and alternate my 5% spironolactone w/ Revivo, but wont if it changes my hair color.

Thx