B58's Story - (50 /hairloss AND early onset BPH )

B58

Reaction score
Greetings all and happy thanksgiving.

My story is I started receeding in my 20's but it didn't bother me much....plus the fact that back then the only treatment was the Helsinki Formula :crazy: . But in my mid forties the crown thinning really came on quick (within a year) and I started using Equate minoxidil and had great results! But the itching almost drove me berserk and I had to quit and there I was back at square one. Then I got on foam a little over 2 years ago and found it much easier to use, but of course I didn't get anywhere near the great results I had with the liquid. So I'll probably ease my way off that. May try Dr Lees or Promox in the future.

Like many I didn't really wanna mess with finasteride, but about a year ago I started getting BPH symptoms (sudden urge, get up 2,3 times a nite to pee, etc) and started to think........maybe I could kill 2 birds with one stone here. So I ordered some Fincar and plan to start it on Dec. 1st.

Any advice on how much a dose? Take it every day, EOD, every third day?
Any advice on splitting the pill (it's pretty small). Crush it instead? What kind of alcohol do I mix it with, does it matter? Dropper, syringe. etc...........

I'll add more specific posts in the appropriate topic columns later. And keep everyone updated on my hair (and prostrate) improvement. Anyone having a similar situation to me, call me out.

thx for reading :)

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
B58 said:
Greetings all and happy thanksgiving.

My story is I started receeding in my 20's but it didn't bother me much....plus the fact that back then the only treatment was the Helsinki Formula :crazy: . But in my mid forties the crown thinning really came on quick (within a year) and I started using Equate minoxidil and had great results! But the itching almost drove me berserk and I had to quit and there I was back at square one. Then I got on foam a little over 2 years ago and found it much easier to use, but of course I didn't get anywhere near the great results I had with the liquid. So I'll probably ease my way off that. May try Dr Lees or Promox in the future.

Like many I didn't really wanna mess with finasteride, but about a year ago I started getting BPH symptoms (sudden urge, get up 2,3 times a nite to pee, etc) and started to think........maybe I could kill 2 birds with one stone here. So I ordered some Fincar and plan to start it on Dec. 1st.

Any advice on how much a dose? Take it every day, EOD, every third day?
Any advice on splitting the pill (it's pretty small). Crush it instead? What kind of alcohol do I mix it with, does it matter? Dropper, syringe. etc...........

I'll add more specific posts in the appropriate topic columns later. And keep everyone updated on my hair (and prostrate) improvement. Anyone having a similar situation to me, call me out.

thx for reading :)

Well, if you want to kill two birds with one stone, I would take the full dosage. The only differnece betweem fincar and finpecia is the dosage. Fincar is for treating BPH which has a required 5mg dosage. The dosage for treating male pattern baldness is only 1% (finpecia) so I couldn't see any reason to cut the pills.

Toss in Nizoral shampoo a couple times per week and you should be in good shape up north and down south.

-DH

B58

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply DH -

I may start out at approx. 1mg and see how it goes......if it eases my BPH symptoms to my satisfaction then I can at least save a few bucks :mrgreen: . I've also considred saw palmetto. If it gets really bad I may have to go with Flowmax (like my dad)

I'll keep everyone apprised of both my conditions, as most everyone's prostrate on this board is slowly enlarging (even though they don't know it).