Badbeat2's story

badbeat2

Reaction score
Hi All-

Looking for some advice. I became a member of this site back in 2004 when I was 19 year's old and my hair began thinning. Every male in my family is bald and at that point in my life it was my ultimate fear in life.

The good members of this site pointed me to a routine of Finastrade and Nizoral. For the last 6 years this has been my routine and I've maintained my hair to the point where most people would not know I have hair loss at all. On the other hand, my brother who is two years younger is almost bald. Sounds like a success story!

Unfortunately, I've experienced sexual side effects the entire time I've been on finastrade. Through college this was ok since I was not in a serious relationship. I had lots of casual girlfriends, but they were generally coming over after a night at the bar so I blamed the impotency on being drunk. In the morning I could often perform, but not to my "normal" level.

My logic was always that my hairloss was a catch-22. If I'm bald, I'm not going to be able to screw good looking girls, but if I have my hair and can still get good looking girls, then I can't screw them the way I want to/am capable of.

Anyways, I got into a serious relationship in 2010-2012. Needless to say my girlfriend was constantly frustrated by my inability to perform. Selfishly, I continued my routine. I would occasionally take a week off of finasteride at which point my sex drive would come back in full force. It seriously felt like being a different person as my sexual desire for my girlfriend exploded. Anyways, finally my girlfriend and I broke up last month. We were fighting about other things as well, but she cited a lack of passion as one of the big reasons. I can't blame her, it was extremely selfish of me to continue to take finasteride through our relationship.

Anyways, as I look in the mirror today, I am ready to change, not just for her, but for myself. It is ridiculous to take finasteride if it is having these types of effects on my body. I am getting to the point where I would rather be bald then have a limited sex drive and lower levels of testosterone. On a side note, I run about 18 miles a week and do some limited weight lifting and have always had trouble putting on muscle.

My plan is to transition from finasteride to Rogaine Foam over the next couple months here. I am going to take them both for 6-8 weeks and then drop finasteride completely from my regimen. I am wondering what kind of a dramatic impact I can expect to see? Am I going to lose all the hair that finasteride has helped me keep over the last 6 years or will the Rogaine continue to maintain what I have?

At this point in time I have some slight recession at my temples and some thinning on my crown.

If anyone has been through this, I could really use some advice and encouragement. In one regard I am excited and on the other hand, I am scared to death.

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah like Ben said if your coming off finasteride then explore all your different options in battling dht (thats not a cue Bryan if your reading)

Its a shame you have been experiencing sides, it is undoubtedly the right thing to be doing to be coming off it, i just hope you can find some other way of battling it. I think there was a guy called inland on here who ha good results after coming off finasteride if my memory serves me correct. Maybe see if you can track down his thread and see what he was using? :dunno:

Anyway, all the best