Balding Early

Cue-Ball 66

Reaction score
Hi. I am a 66 year old mail, and have been losing my hair steadily and continuously for 48 years. I first was aware of the hair loss at age 18 when while studying, I scratched my head and several hairs fell down onto the book I was reading. I scratched again...and more hair. Baldness is prevalent on both sides of my family. My dad was partially bald, but not on the sides or the back. My fraternal grandfather was bald with some thinness on the sides and the back. My maternal grandfather had hair, but very thin and fine. Many uncles on both sides of the family had significant hair loss, particularly on my father's side. So, I accepted the situation of my incipient male pattern baldness and kept my hair short and clean. By the time of my first marriage at age 22, my hair had thinned considerably with a definite bald spot appearing at the top; however, even at this point I did not suspect the true nature and extent of my hair loss. By the time I was 30, I realized that not only was I losing hair from the top of my head, but also from the back and sides. Now, some 36 years later, I am still losing the little hair I have left, which I buzz on setting one. Over the years I have experienced depression as a direct result of my hair loss and appearance, and inability to take part in social situations. I have also lost most of the hair on my legs, my eyebrows have thinned, and in the last year I have lost all of my underarm hair. I finally spoke with my doctor about this, and I have been referred to a dermatologist to see if I suffer from alopecia totalis or alopecia universalis. I know...I am a senior citizen, and my wife tells me "what difference does it make?" but I find this entire process unacceptable and emasculating. I am strongly leaning toward NOT seeing the dermatologist. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. And besides...what is the point. There is still no definitive cause for AT or AU, and there is really no cure, despite testimony from wishful thinkers.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have almost no hair there is not much you can do. I would recommend a hair transplant for someone your age but it does not sound like their is much donor hair. You can get an eyebrow transplant though if your eyebrows are gone. Your only real option for the hair on your head is a hair piece, and/or minoxidil for the thin but not totally bald areas