Balding since 16

IheartHair

Reaction score
Hi guys,like my title stated,I've started balding since 2 years ago,and am currently 18 years of age.

A bit of my history:
I'm Asian.Dad has frontal receding,while the males on my mom's side all show severe MPD,mostly the crown area.

For 5 years I've attended a school which required the students to have buzz cuts,and those years I lived blissfully happy away from my hair.

It wasn't until I started college and keeping my hair long after its absence of half a decade that my worst fears came true-I was balding.

Back when I was having the buzz cut my friends would sometimes comment how little hair I have,and this was when I had really short hair,and out of norm it didn't really bug me,thinking that the buzz made me look that way.I was horribly wrong.

Recently close friends have started pointing out that my crown..was less of a crown anymore.Their light comments really darkened my days,and as I imagine for someone to be called "baldy" at 18,the emotional toll on me was significant.For the worst nights,like this one,I have even considered ending it all,my self-confidence was shot,I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror.

I've consulted a pharmacist-but she said that pills like Propecia are only recommended for much older consumers that already have families.And so she prescribed Minoxidil 5% for me and started me on some multivitamins.This was 2 hours ago.

Having stumbled upon this forum I really need some insights from experienced people.I'm terrified of the shedding process most minoxidil users have been complaining about,and am holding the minoxidil bottle with fears that I might do something stupid should my condition worsen.

So I have two major questions:
1)Should I ignore the pharmacist's advice and get started on finasteride straight away?She said that my crown was quite severe.

2)Is it 100% guaranteed that i'll shed my hair should i start on minoxidil 5%?If so I might consider postponing my usage of it till when I have a break in college.

-IheartHair,in need of hope

IheartHair

Reaction score
To tell more about my hair status-So far as I can tell,no frontal receding,but I have sparse hair overall.

Crown part is the most frustrating one-I have been self-conscious about my hair for almost a year now-and it seems to have gotten worst.

Will try to post pictures when I had the buzz cut and current pictures later.

Edited to include pictures

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
It's me on the right side,with obvious sparse hair.(Age 17)

Top and back shot of me(Current age:18)
-IheartHair

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
I would listen to your pharmacist and stay the hell away from finasteride. Just google 'propecia side effects' and see what you find.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
18 is too young to take finasteride.

You should try the minoxidil, it's the most proven growth stimulant there is and works for the majority of users.

IheartHair

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :)
So when can I get started on finasteride?In my twenties?Also does this mean it's my hormones causing this?

And would minoxidil give me a shedding phase?It's expensive and I really wouldn't know how to handle the shedding..