BD44's Story - (Alopecia Areata, Telogen Effluvium, All 3?)

bd44

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new here but thrilled to find this active forum. I've been going through a very depressing and frustrating time with my recent hair loss as I'm sure many of you have at some point. Here's my story

I'm 25 and always had a very nice head of hair. I considered it my best quality. And I didn't have many since I was 280 lbs or so. In May I decided to do something about it. I lost about 90 lbs in 3-4 months (which I now know was stupid) and almost immediately after the weight loss my hair started to shed rapidly. I've lost half my hair in the last month or so and it's only getting worse and has now spread to my eyebrows and even my body hair (slightly). My dermatologist said I have whats called Telogen Effluvium and the hair should grow back in a year with a healthy diet and reduced stress.

Here are my problems with that diagnosis.....for starters, before I lost weight I had a hairless patch in my beard that I now know is alopecia areata and that problem has gotten slightly worse since the weight loss. Doctor says that's a seperate issue than the rest of hair loss.

Also, while my hair is shedding and thinning rapidly all over my head, it does show signs of male pattern baldness. I'm looking at the Norwood scale but don't see my hair. It's somewhere in the 3, 3A, 3V range. My dad and his dad both have a full head of hair. On my moms side only my uncle is balding, my grandfather and other uncles have great hair.

The Doctor says it's telogen effluvium but is it possible that the physical stress of weight loss worsened my alopecia areata and spread it from my beard to everywhere else? Or is it possible that I had early male pattern baldness but the weight loss accelerated this? I just don't feel confident in my doctor's diagnosis. He recommended rogaine foam and I plan to grap some Nizoral shampoo today, not just because you all seem to recommend it but also the rogaine is apparently giving me pretty significant dandruff.

Sorry to be so wordy but I'm not handling this well to say the least and I don't have many people to talk about this with. I thank all of you who read this and can give me some input.

rachel155

Reaction score
Re: BD44's Story male pattern baldness, Alopecia Areata, Telogen Effluvium, All 3?

Hi,

I'm not a guy so I can't speak to any experience in losing hair in my beard! I do, however, lose patches on my eyebrows. That loss has extended to my scalp hair, but it's more diffuse. This past winter I was diagnosed with a diffuse form of alopecia areata The "bingo" for my diagnosis was the fact that the hair in the back of my scalp (I think it's the occipital region...I'm taking anatomy and I think that's what it's called) is sparser than the hair on top of my head, which isn't typical of pattern balding.

So, in other words, it is possible that what you are describing is a diffuse form of alopecia areata since you already have it in your beard area. But it could also be telogen effluvium. I don't think pattern baldness happens as quickly as you are describing.

Did your doctor check your iron levels? Low iron storage (called ferritin) can trigger alopecia areata (it can also trigger telogen effluvium). Give your crash diet, your iron levels may be very low right now. Itf it's not been checked out, it's worth giving it a try!

Good luck!

bd44

Reaction score
Re: BD44's Story male pattern baldness, Alopecia Areata, Telogen Effluvium, All 3?

Thank you very much for your reply. It just seems like too much of a coincidence that I've had the beard patches for a year before the weight loss. I never had any loss anywhere else until the weight loss but I feel like this is AA, I just sped up the process with rapid weight loss and body chemistry change as well as well as the extreme emotional stress from all this hair loss.

I DID have my iron level checked. I also got a CBC, and was tested for thyroid and autoimmune problems and just about every blood test imaginable. Everything has come back normal. I guess that's why my dermatologist is just dismissing this as telogen effluvium. And believe me I wish it was because that would mean I have a decent chance of regrowth. I'm no doctor but I don't think it is. From what I've read telogen effluvium only affects your scalp and occasionally eyebrows. Technichnally it can affect anywhere but only in very rare cases. It's also extremely rare to have a receding hair line with Telogen Effluvium, which I have.

I don't know if it's relevant, but my facial skin has been very bad since the weight loss too. But recently it's been worse. I have found red, scaly skin that occasionally even flakes around my eyes, eyebrows, and nose as well as my scalp. Although I suspect the rogaine could be behind that.

God I talk too much. I'm just frustrated. There just seems to be so many possible causes in my cases and no clear answer.

bd44

Reaction score

Does anybody else have any idea? I feel like I need to know exactly why this is happening before I can try to treat it. So far, my dermatologist has been no help. Plus I have to wait months in between appointments.

This rogaine is killing me. Ridiculous shedding, itching, redness, dandruff, etc. And my skin is suddenly horrible. I can't imagine using this twice a day for the rest of my life. I don't know what to do.

I'll post some pics when I figure out this camera and have the balls to get my first post-shedding haircut.