Been on finasteride for 10 years -- about to start the foam

snaff

Reaction score
As I said I've been taking finasteride for 10 years now and had very good gains after the first year (pics will come later) , I dropped it for one year and went back on in the third to maintain what I gained. From the third year until December 2006 I was doing okay taking 1.25 mg x 2 a daycthen when I saw some photo's taken over the Christmas that year I noticed my temple areas were showing more than usual so I made the decision to stick more vigorously to the regime and not miss any more days. Truth be known, I never really missed more than a couple of days in one month but I have to say that I never followed a strict time each day when I should have taken it, like every 12 hrs like I had in the first year.
In early 2007 I decided to try propecia and took one tab in the morning and one in the evening religiously for 3 months but my hairline got slightly worse and I started to get the burning itchy scalp and falling hair.
So in June 2007 I went back to finasteride and up the dose to one tab (5mg) a day split in two but again with no change to my hair condition, in fact I felt like the greasyness, itch and burn were getting worse, I had to wash my hair everyday for the first time in years, so I introduced nizoral. The nizoral helped with the grease and burn but only when I used it twice a day.
It was in November 2007 that I upped the finasteride to 2 tabs a day and this is what I am taking now. The hair loss has slowed somewhat and the itch and burn comes occasionally. I'm also taking additional vitamins and zinc supplements which maybe helping but its too early to tell.

Three bottles of 5% minoxidil topical aerosol have just arrived so I'm contemplating my next step. Ideally I should reduced the finasteride to one tab split in two halfs, half in the morning and half at night, start the foam, reduce the nizoral to three times a week and look for an appropriate shampooh for the times in between.

What are your thoughts?

Please state your experience before posting, sorry, ideas are welcome but I would like to hear from those of you who have had similar experiences although, granted, over a shorter period of time.

Best,
Snaff

Age38
x2 finestride (10mg)/day
Multi vit, Zinc 25mg, Calcium Mag tab with zinc/day
Nizoral x 2 /day

My story :: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45000&p=425171#p425171

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
10mg finasteride a day? has there been any official studies on dosage at this level? does the body build up a tolerance? 10mg seems like a lot.

snaff

Reaction score
I don't know, has there been any official studies ???

10mg is very excessive and something I want to stop ASAP. Hence the reason why I have reduced the finasteride to 2.5mg x 2/day.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this site or something similar around pre 2004?
I say this because of the limited success stories and I can't find any archives.

TKS

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
snaff, to answer your question, for all intents and purposes 10mg of finasteride a day isn't necessarily going to give you any more side effects than it would if you experienced them at 5 or even 1 mg a day. But with that being said, 10mg/day also wont help any more than would 5mg/day. The difference in significance would not be noticeable at all.

ten years is quite awhile and if your hair is going down hill now it simply could be that the level of dht suppression that finasteride has isnt doing as good a job as it used to.

If this is the case, which it certainly sounds like, you might want to consider trying avodart. In clinical trials finasteride blocked around 60-70% of dht while avodart(dutasteride) blocked around 90-95%. You may be able to get a script through your doctor, but if not you can a prescription online through medicalwellnesscenter.com . However, do some research on the dutasteride forum here and make an informed decision, a lot of people have had success switching finasteride for dutasteride, its your call though, good luck.

snaff

Reaction score
Frankly speaking I want to avoid taking drugs orally for treating my hair loss full stop so I would consider increasing the potency to dutasteride with great hesitation. Its intertesting you should mention the 10mg v 5 mg of finasteride and its impact on dht levels. If true, this would be welcome news because I do wonder what other effects taking high doses of finasteride is having on my body although over aa period of years, sides have been virtually non existent, sexually anyhow.
What I plan to do is have a blood test, get my dht level known and try various doses of finasteride.
To do this I persume I would have cleanse my body of finasteride and wonder how long that would take before I could get the blood work done.

TKS