Been there and worn the T-Shirt....

fatsam

Reaction score
If it is of any interest to anyone. I thought it was about time I added my experiences to the now very fashionable subject of Hair Transplants. Having undergone my first transplant around 18 years ago. Allthough I could be a year or so adrift, as time flies when you are having fun. It was in the very early days of micro graft surgery.

I started losing my hair in my early twenties and tried every cover up job going to try and mask the thinning of my pride and joy. Cover up sprays, hair replacement systems, you name it I looked into it and threw away several thousand pound in the process.

I even ended up in the chair of a well known London based clinic. After booking myself in for the old 'Dolls Head' surgery. Only to get up and walk out 5 minutes before the procedure as the surgeon had made a statement that just didn't ring true. Causing alarm bells to start ringing in my head.

I eventually ended up at the door of Dr Henry Clamp, who at the time was working with the now long defunct LST clinics. My BUPA doctor recommended him, only to pass me his home phone number, by mistake. I consequently was quizzed by a rather puzzled Mr Clamp as to how I ended up ringing him during dinner. I never liked LST, and was glad in a way that they disappeared. However Dr Clamps work was excellent, and I liked the fact that he was very direct in what he said. His early work with 'cocktail' sticks (to hold open the sites for planting) was like something out of 'Hellraiser'. I had three surgeries with him and slowly my original hair was replaced bit by bit as it fell out. At that time far less hair was moved in any one go.

Once he retired I ended up researching a new surgeon and found David Cuddis, who took me through another two procedures. He was always pulling my leg that he wanted to do another one, just to keep up with Henry. For a small time David left London and moved to pastures new. He never got his wish, as my next surgery was sub contracted to Dr Farjo Snr. The next few years pass by and Dr Bessam Farjo takes me on, and ends up putting up with my rather larger than life approach and humour.

I have had 7 or 8 procedures over the years. To be honest, I have lost count. All this could be done in 2012 in probably two visits.

Yes I have FUT scars at the back of my head. Maybe, the hairline could be a little lower........But I am proud to say I was there in the early days.

IT WAS & IS THE BEST THING I EVER DID!!!!!!!!

Advancement in technique means, one day I may just go back again. Just for old times sake.........

The moral of the story is do your research, and talk to people who have been there and done it. Know that despite surgery your original hair will still thin out, and you may need to go back again in a few years time, to top up. In the long run moving your own hair can be a damn site cheaper than paying for wigs, lotions and potions........

fatsam

Reaction score
That is a very fair point. In my case finasteride & minoxidil were only just available and not in the advanced stage of production or development. I tried minoxidil in the very early days and it did nothing. I tried finasteride a few years ago. But for me it did no good at all, either. I had at that time, lost to much of my native hair. It was unfortunately money down the drain.

Personally I feel that even if it had worked. The cost of continued use long term, would have outweighed, the fees for surgery by miles. It is also the thought of what effect years of taking finasteride may have on my body. Allthough it is not connected, Hugh Hefner is now paying the price for years of v**** useage. I am deaf enough as it is, through years of working in nightclubs. The chemical companies just do not know what will really happen decades down the line, or what long term side effects there maybe, if any.

My first transplant is now well on the way to its twentieth birthday. In theory if I live into my mid eighties it will have clocked up around sixty years of service. I am not sure that I would want to still be using, or even paying for pills or potions for this length of time.

Decent coverage is always an issue as I am sure you agree. My natural hair was replaced bit by bit. I never allowed it to get too thin, before transferring more in. I always had a fear of looking like the actor 'Warren Mitchell' or 'Alf' as my father remembers him. I would I am sure, now be 5 or 6 on the Norwood Scale. Had I have never had anything done. Surgey will never give me the density of hair of a teenager. However neither will chemicals.....

In 2012 surgey is far more advanced than my very first outings. A friend has recently had his temples filled in with FUE surgery. And don't I know it, after spending hours filling him in on 'what to expect' afterwards. He is ecstatic with the results, thankfully. It was quick and efficient. He is still paying hundreds of pounds a year on tablets to keep the crown reasonable. But, has now reached the opinion that he may go down the surgey route, to fill that bit in as well. Rather than worrying every five minutes if the tablets are making a difference. "Peace of mind is a wonderful thing". His comments not mine.

In future decades we will finally be growing hair from a single follicle in a petri dish. Well as soon as the quality of growth can be improved and increased to an acceptable level. It's still a way off yet.......

My comments are purely personal to me. I look at my surgery as being with with me until very old age. I really did not or do not intend to disrespect anything finasteride or minoxidil may do. But I still feel that they are a short term fix.

I hope reading this will at least raise a smile or help with a choice....

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
Good post.