Being referred to as "the bald guy"

vjon

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Do you ever get referred to, or called "the bald guy" ? I work with the public and when they're trying to get back in touch with me, but they don't know remember my name they will tell my coworkers "that bald guy"...and of course my coworkers (mostly other younger guys ALL with full heads of hair) always make it a point to tell me about it. It just really sucks. Over the last year or so the last of my hair up top finally fell out and I just keep the sides/back buzzed tight, but of course it's still quite obvious that I'm completely bald up top as what hair is left is almost black so even if I shaved the sides/back to the skin the shadow would still be oh so obvious. Anyway, because I'm still so not comfortable with being bald it's "crushing" to be constantly told I'm the bald guy. Do you guys get this from people? How does it make you feel? Sorry to be venting, as I know that is what I'm doing :)

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
vjon said:
Do you ever get referred to, or called "the bald guy" ? I work with the public and when they're trying to get back in touch with me, but they don't know remember my name they will tell my coworkers "that bald guy"...and of course my coworkers (mostly other younger guys ALL with full heads of hair) always make it a point to tell me about it.

f*** THEM!

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
vjon said:
even if I shaved the sides/back to the skin the shadow would still be oh so obvious

this is what i hate about going bald, i wouldnt mind shaving my whole head, but its the fact that even if you shaved your head you still cant run from this, the Norwood patterns still shows....
i dont need an emo hair or even short haircut, all i want is a hairline to frame my face, i need the focus back to my eyes and not my scalp :thumbdown2:

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. What bothers me is not being shaved, but having a dark hourse shoe shadow which I cant get rid of, even if I shave with with my Gilette Fusion every day. And its extra obvious in wintertime when Im pale as f***! I really look tired and old, even if I take care of myself everyday fitness wise. That is what bothers me about being bald. I just cant fully compensate it. But at least, I change what I can change.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that such people, or in your case the younger men who relay the "bald guy" mesage, do not understand or 'get it' that when pointing out a physical flaw may hurt/insult the other person. This leads me to believe that such people are really insecure of their own appearance and do these type of things to feel better about themselves. Keep that in mind next time something like that happens and just remind yourself that you're not as insecure as they are.

Obsidian

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
I don't get this thread. If I was completly bald which is likely to happen at some point I would still refer to a bald guy that I didn't know the name of as the bald guy downstairs etc etc. Its not an insult unless you make it one.

Same as black people in the uk are often in the minority. I would refer to the black guy as the black guy if I didn't know his name.

Obviously if someone was fat I wouldn't refer to him/lher as the fat guy cos the description of fat is pejorative and being fat just can't be neutral for various reasons.

People go on about the concept of baldness being a negative trait and being portrayed negatively but how can in not if the recipient of the description considers it disparaging themself!

:dunno:

+1.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Obsidian said:
monty1978 said:
I don't get this thread. If I was completly bald which is likely to happen at some point I would still refer to a bald guy that I didn't know the name of as the bald guy downstairs etc etc. Its not an insult unless you make it one.

Same as black people in the uk are often in the minority. I would refer to the black guy as the black guy if I didn't know his name.

Obviously if someone was fat I wouldn't refer to him/lher as the fat guy cos the description of fat is pejorative and being fat just can't be neutral for various reasons.

People go on about the concept of baldness being a negative trait and being portrayed negatively but how can in not if the recipient of the description considers it disparaging themself!

+1.

That is because baldness has a negative connotation associated with it.... just like calling someone "fat" as a descriptor. It is calling someone out by an undesireable trait.... it may be true but it is still insensitive to refer to someone by it.

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Obsidian said:
monty1978 said:

+1.

That is because baldness has a negative connotation associated with it.... just like calling someone "fat" as a descriptor. It is calling someone out by an undesireable trait.... it may be true but it is still insensitive to refer to someone by it.

It's not really the same. Pretty much no one would think it's not rude to say 'the fat girl over there' but I'd wager that most people think saying 'the bald guy over there' is completely fine, which it is..it may be a negative trait in terms of sexual attractiveness in most people's eyes but there's no taboo around describing someone as bald...it's not something most people over the age of 20 would bother laughing about, so euphemisms equivalent to 'the larger lady' aren't used....

Obsidian

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Obsidian said:
monty1978 said:

+1.

I guess then saying that 'black' guy could be considered as well. It is just describing a physical trait someone has. No different than saying that 'short guy' over there.

You believe it has a negative connotation because you associate it with it, if you weren't bald people might call you that 'mean guy' or that 'bully guy'.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Obsidian said:
You believe it has a negative connotation because you associate it with it, if you weren't bald people might call you that 'mean guy' or that 'bully guy'.

Doubt it. Their eyes would just see past me because I would blend in..... just like when I have a hat on.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Draco88 said:
I find it hard to believe that such people, or in your case the younger men who relay the "bald guy" mesage, do not understand or 'get it' that when pointing out a physical flaw may hurt/insult the other person. This leads me to believe that such people are really insecure of their own appearance and do these type of things to feel better about themselves. Keep that in mind next time something like that happens and just remind yourself that you're not as insecure as they are.

People that are not bald do not even consider the implications of going bald, referring to you as the bald guy is just a descriptive measure. Very few people are actually assholes about it.