best long term shampoo to use after tranpslants?

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
I was told not to use nizoral for at least a year after surgery, so now i use nioxin. Is there anything out there better then nioxin? I don't want to put something cheap and commerial on my head like dove or pert plus etc.

What do u use? I prefer a shamoo that helps with DHT... But my surgeon says nizoral is to strong...

WebBubba

Reaction score
Ack! I had never heard that Nizoral wasn't recommended after a transplant. I'm 3 months post op and have been using a couple times a week for the past 3 weeks or so. I had just though it would be good for my scalp. But this post has me of course concerned! How is it too strong? Have I put my growth and graft yield in jeopardy?

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
i dont know my surgeon just told me not to use it until a year said its to harsh on the scalp

theanimator

Reaction score
I just had my transplant last week. I'm using Johnson's Baby Shampoo (gentle formula). I didn't ask my doctor for any recommendations, but I figured the gentle formula would be the safest thing to use on my new grafts. So far it seems to be working pretty well, not many of the new grafts have fallen out yet.

...I'll have my surgery story up shortly.

G

IMHO, oral finasteride is the most effective way to deal with DHT. Nizoral does state it helps block DHT, but since it is not classified as a medicine, it is not subject to clinical trials and really nothing to substantiate it's claim other than customer testimony.

Progaine and Tricomin shampoo are good products. Neither treat hairloss but are good nutrients for healthy hair. Tricomin contains a triamino copper nutritional complex.

BTW, are you taking Propecia or another form of finasteride? Did you discuss this with your doctor?

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
ive been on propecia for like 4 years now...

Are the two above mentioned shampoo better then nioxin though? which one do you use?

G

Nioxin is different from Nizoral in that it makes no claims to blocking or removing DHT from the scalp. IMO, nioxin is more of a scalp cleanser and invigorator than anyting else.

For myself I use both Progaine and the Tricomin shampoo products. I also have been cutting Proscar for 12 years now.

kriss

Reaction score
I saw Dr Griffin and he recommend a shampoo with 2% Zinc. Said it helps remove DHT from the hair. I found a shampoo at CVS called DHS.. I really like it. My hair actually looks thicker.

kriss

Reaction score
The brand name I found at CVS was called DHS. It said on the bottle it had 2% zinc. I have used it for 2 weeks and have really liked it. It was located where the dandruff shampoos were, like Nizoril. I saw other shampoos too, some were labeled they had 1% zinc. But the DR said to get 2%. Not sure if he is corrected or not, but he recommended shampoos with 2% zinc.

G

cateyes81,

Yes I feel the finasteride has kept me from progressing in male pattern baldness because in 12 years I have not noticed any changes showing increased loss.

G

kriss,

Is there anything on the packaging that supports the claim that it removes DHT from the scalp? I am referring to any clinical trials.

kriss

Reaction score
nothing on the packaging, it was Dr. Griffin that said 2% zinc would help. Or it might had been his assistant. I talked with both of them for 2 hours, so may not recall which one actually said it. They gave me a trial size bottle of DHS (2 oz) to try.

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
hey man where can i get that shampoo with %2 Zinc? I would like a free sample to! :agree:

G

I think he said CVS pharmacy. It's probably available in other large drug stores too.