Best method for applying Minoxidil to long hair

tzed2

Reaction score
when i fist starting using Minoxidil my hair was pretty short and it was easy to apply to thining areas. now its considerably longer..i find that i might not be applying it equaly with the long armed applyer since so much hair is in the way and it seems to retain much of the Minoxidil. i have no balded spots...just large thining areas. any ideas would be awesome. thanks

G

Go to your local drugstore (pharmacy) and ask for a 1ml syringe without the needle.

If you are a diffuser thinner like myself, then congrats ;), the best way to do it is by using a comb and part the hair starting with the midline. Thats a good spot to add about .4 ml then you flank the midline (on each side that is) about 2 cm away and go again using a little less on each side and finally repeat 2 cm away one last time. That´s five corn rows the first .4 ml then .3 and .2 which will mean that you add about 1,4 ml twice a day which is fine, it could send your pulse racing a bit for 40minutes but it should pass without problems.

Take care man and good luck!

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I have long hair and this is how I do it.

The easiest way to apply is with a dropper. The spray top is only good if you barely have any hair on your head.
I start by parting my hair on the side and put a drop in the back of the part, tilt my head forward and let the drop roll to the front of the part. Then I gently rub it into the part. (more like press it into the part)
I part my hair several times across the top of my head til I reach the other side.
Then I rub a couple drops into my temples and then I put just under a 1ml on the vertex.
For each application I use about 2ml. My hair is quite long and absorbs a lot of the minoxidil but it works for me. Total application time is about 10 minutes maybe less.

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
Def

Hey All

I posted this once earlier, but the best way to apply minoxidil (or any topical?) to someone with a significant amount of hair/long hair covering their scalp is as follows:

1) put your 1-2ml in a shot glass or similar receptacle;

2) dip a cotton bud (what yanks call "cue-tips") into the minoxidil;

3) apply minoxidil directly to the scalp and not the hair in thinning areas; and

4) repeat steps 2 & 3 until all minoxidil is used.

All up this only takes me 2-3 mins per application and is the most effective way to get the solution straight to the scalp if you have a significant amount of hair still.

Laters

Def

williteverend

Reaction score
here is what i have found to be the best way to apply minoxidil to long hair. TAKE YOUR TIME. make sure that you lift your hair up and spply directly directly directly to the scalp. it has taken me a few months to get this perfectly but i have it down so well now that i barely get any minoxidil on my hair. lift your hair in sections so that you can see your scalp and dab the tip of the drip applicator directly on the scalp. dont squeeze the bulb because the minoxidil will come out naturally once it touches the scalp area. dont go too fast because you will just be wasting your minoxidil.

tzed2

Reaction score
williteverend are you talking about the spray tip applicator? the long one with the cap on the end?

williteverend

Reaction score
the drop applicator. the spray applicator is only good i believe if you are pretty high on the Norwood scale. but yea the drop applicator is the best, IMO

tzed2

Reaction score
hmm, My manual doesnt have that applicator listed. However i think the Rub-On Applicator sounds about right. Its the soft round rubber top with 3 holes in it. Is that the applicator? thanks

Getting there

Reaction score
I measure 1ml into a medicine cup and then use a cotton bud to dab the formula directly onto the scalp. I use a comb to part the hair on the right first, dab along to scalp, then part the hair again to dab onto the scalp. Gradually I have moved from one side to the other, minimising any formula touching the hair follicles (except of course where it comes out of the scalp).

Just using a dropper can cause it to run down your forehead or soak into the hair which is wasteful. Take the time to dab it directly onto the scalp.

If you have hair that just can't be parted, then hold it back your hand or brush it so it sticks up and move the cotton bud along the scalp.

I use 1ml twice daily.