Best RU58841 Topical Carrier?

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on testing out RU58841 soon, so I've been researching a lot on the topicals people have been making. The two most common ones seem to be:
1-50% ethanol, 50% PG
2-60% everclear, 20% PG, 20% Distilled water
I remember There was a third method that was used in the stumptailed macaque study: I remember it being 70% isopropyl alcohol, I'm going to try to dig this up again, but it wasn't in the actual abstract for the study, so i'm not sure where I read it.

In any case, my question is which of these methods would be best for the absorption of RU into my scalp?

CCS

Reaction score
fatty acids might be good, if they would have a RUM effect. Oleic acid.

Did you order RU already? I know you said 2g is not enough. What about 4g? (hairhaircomeagain's and mine combined)

What size test spot are you doing? All your thin areas, or just one side? I think one side is better because you can see the difference.

10g would give you 3.33% at 1mL for 10 months.
4g would be 3.33% at 0.5mL for 8 months. You could test that on a small area and know for sure if it works.

Also, what surface area do you plan to use it on? I'm sure if you put 1mL in a 4 square inch area, it would be stronger than if it were put over your whole head, at least if you are diffusely thinning so that spreading is harder.

I'd sell you the 4g (two bags) for $160 plus shipping. I also have DMSO, oleic acid, propylene glycol, everclear and octyl salicylate, and will mix up 120mL of the proportions you want for $5 extra.

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
I need 6 months worth, so I have to get a full 10g of RU. I'm just going to use on my entire scalp, and check the before and after pictures. I've been receding pretty rapidly lately, so it won't be hard to see whether it's effective. I'm going to apply over all the thinning areas. I might also apply over the areas on top of my head which don't seem affected yet, since some diffuse thinning runs in my family.

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've decided to try out the following mix:

60%everclear, 20% PG, 20% oleic acid

The PG and oleic acid I can get from chemistrystore.com
Does anyone know of a cheap source for the everclear?

Newbaldy84

Established Member
Reaction score
what do you think of Emu oil
It's proven to be extraordinary for it's ability to penetrate the skin. Emu oil is high in essential fatty acids ( omega 3, 6, and 9 ), which allows it to penetrate to the third layer.One of the components of Emu oil is Oleic acid: Oleic acid increases Emu oils ability to carry compounds through the skin. Emu oil does not contain phospholipids, which makes absorption more difficult. The absence of phospholipids makes Emu oil highly penetrating.

maybe emu oil would be great?

CCS

Reaction score
call all the beverage and liquor places in town and see if any carry gallon sizes. they are cheap, but they are a bigger investment.

the emu oil sounds good, though I already have oleic acid. I'll think about it.

spinner2, if you are losing fast, then 10g to the whole scalp is probably your best bet. I would not test just one side if I were losing it fast.

CCS

Reaction score
for RU? I don't think distilled water is necessary. I also think there is a limit on how much oil propylene glycol and ethanol can dissolve. I also don't know if RU is water soluble or fat soluble or if it prefers alcohol. Propylene glycol can dissolve all three, I think. If you add water, add it last, after the RU is already dissolved in something else. Water and emu oil won't like each other, so you will need enough alcohol and pg to dissolve both together, or just use 5% emu oil.

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember in the stumptailed macaque tests that alcohols were used as the carrier, and I'm guessing they knew a thing or two about the best carrier.

CCS

Reaction score
I think it varies with the medication you are trying to deliver. Octyl salicylate 5% increased finasteride absorption 10x over the standard water alcohol vehicle. I think it would do the same for spironolactone. I don't know how RU would react since it is not a steroid.

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
I may have to look into adding some of that. I had no clue absorption might vary that dramatically. Unfortunately I don't have the time for serious research into carriers right now, but I might do it over winter break.

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
I just searched and I can't find any good sources for octyl salicylate. Do you know of any CCS, or should I do without it?

I found some companies which produce it in bulk, but I definitely don't have the $$ for that right now.

CCS

Reaction score
Since RU is not finasteride, you might not need it. I use a mixture of several penetration enhancers, rather than just one liquid. I also must add that I don't use any topicals that are not safe to drink, except for minoxidil, which is undrinkable only because of the minoxidil, if someone drinks the whole bottle and not just 1mL.