Beta-Sitosterol+Saw Palmetto Extract+GLA (Black Currant Oil)

blue_ice1985

Reaction score
Hi guys, I came across this video from youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRuIMVl5uo8

The guy there recommended these 3 supplements. Beta-Sitosterol, Saw palmetto extract and GLA from black currant oil.

I am thinking of adding Beta-sitosterol and Saw palmetto but I'm not sure about GLA....

What you guys think? Any advise?
I'm currently on Propecia and Nizoral 2%.

jameschan619

Reaction score
hi blue ice, i mostly lurked before but your topic wasn't getting any replies so i thought I'd chime in. i've done a lot of research on saw-palmetto and beta-sitosterol.

the two are typically used as an alternative treatment for a condition called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) which is also caused by elevated DHT levels.

5mg daily finasteride is commonly used to treat BPH. a 1 mg dose of it is used to treat alopecia. there are many studies that have been published regarding the efficacy of finasteride and i'm sure you can find a lot of board members using it. the only problem is that it requires a prescription.

interestingly, there are two enzymes that cause the conversion of testosterone to DHT- types 1 and 2 5-alpha reductase. finasteride only blocks 1 of those while saw-palmetto+beta-sitosterol blocks both.

I've been getting great results with the saw-palmetto and beta-sitosterol containing supplement i've been using.

Hoppi

Reaction score
hm - VERY refreshing to hear someone with results on SP and beta-sit :)

Most people say they have had no results. So nicely done man for having success :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The kid who's reading that excerpt from the book clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Look how he mispronounces the word "sitosterol" and (even worse) the word "gamma-linolenic acid". He says "linoleic", instead of "linoLENic"! :)

Worst of all is the technical advice given by the "doctor" that he's quoting. The Doctor says that "higher levels of testosterone throughout life can protect you from hair loss"!! Quack quack QUACKER! Quack quack QUACKER!! :) :puke:

The nutcase also claims that the GLA from natural oils can inhibit 5a-reductase, much like finasteride. As most people who read hairloss sites know by now, it doesn't do that. GLA has to be in its "free" form to do that. Natural oils don't work for that specific purpose.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Bryan! You KNOW that opinion is divided over the testosterone levels of MP balders vs.. hairy people. lol

I wonder, on average, which group has higher T levels. I would speculate, the hairy guys :) With the exception of those with excessive testosterone levels.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Bryan! You KNOW that opinion is divided over the testosterone levels of MP balders vs.. hairy people. lol

Not among doctors and scientists. Among them, NO, opinion isn't "divided".

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
If testosterone protects you from hair loss, then DHT must REALLY protect you! That's it, I'm getting of the finasteride!
:jackit:

Hoppi

Reaction score
Good T levels = low E (usually)

It's the E we are scared of lol

blue_ice1985

Reaction score
jameschan619 said:
hi blue ice, i mostly lurked before but your topic wasn't getting any replies so i thought I'd chime in. i've done a lot of research on saw-palmetto and beta-sitosterol.

the two are typically used as an alternative treatment for a condition called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) which is also caused by elevated DHT levels.

5mg daily finasteride is commonly used to treat BPH. a 1 mg dose of it is used to treat alopecia. there are many studies that have been published regarding the efficacy of finasteride and i'm sure you can find a lot of board members using it. the only problem is that it requires a prescription.

interestingly, there are two enzymes that cause the conversion of testosterone to DHT- types 1 and 2 5-alpha reductase. finasteride only blocks 1 of those while saw-palmetto+beta-sitosterol blocks both.

I've been getting great results with the saw-palmetto and beta-sitosterol containing supplement i've been using.

Hi James... Glad to know that they are working for you. I'm currently on Propecia too. Any advice on when is usually better to take saw-palmetto+beta-sitosterol?

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hoppi are you even aware of a study which concluded saying that Testosterone can be harmful to your follicles as well[to a much lesser extent than DHT] if they are sensitive to it ? Stop trying to be imaginative man,Estrogen is not going to make you lose your hair nor the intake of eggs. :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
It's the E we are scared of lol

I think this really odd fascination with estrogen by some people on hairloss sites (good examples of such individuals would be Hoppi, misterE, and Cassanova over on HLH) has a lot more to do with Freudian issues, than scientific ones. Consciously or unconsciously, and for purely psychological reasons, I think they would tend to ascribe anything bad that happens to one of their physical attributes to estrogen, regardless of whether or not it makes any scientific sense! :)

The same thing is not true of serious doctors and scientists, for whom the beneficial effects of estrogen on balding scalp hair have slowly and gradually been increasing over the last several years. I don't think you'll find any serious medical professionals who think that estrogen is the "cause" of balding! :shakehead:

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Exactly, and that is why women don't go bald and/or thin. They have all that estrogen that stops that from happening.