Beta Sitosterol

DesertFox

Reaction score
Anyone heard about people using Beta-Sitosterol as a supplement for gaining/maintaining hair? I read in an article that one capsule of beta-sis would be like taking 3,000 capsules of Saw Palmetto extract yet with lesser or the same side effects on libido.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I use it, and my hair keeps getting thinner. My understanding is that Saw Palmetto and Beta Sitosterol do not work when put under rigorous tests. From what I understand, it can block the absorption of Cholesterol, so it has some health benefits, which is what I use it for. I'll probably get on a low dose of finasteride, as I have BPH.

rcom440

Reaction score
I would suggest using Beta-Sitosterol locally (Hair Signals , Scalp Med) instead of taking it orally.

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
Paolo said:
47thin said:
I use it, and my hair keeps getting thinner. My understanding is that Saw Palmetto and Beta Sitosterol do not work when put under rigorous tests. From what I understand, it can block the absorption of Cholesterol, so it has some health benefits, which is what I use it for. I'll probably get on a low dose of finasteride, as I have BPH.

Interesting....because testosterone is derived from cholesterol. However, I don't think you will be able to prevent (or want to prevent) your body producing DHT, you just want to prevent it acting on your scalp.

Most hormones are derivates of cholesterol.

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Exactly, choose a good topical form of Beta sitosterol, with a good deliverance vehicle...if not take it internally, cause even if it does not do much for male pattern baldness, the other health benefits are there..after all, what is a head full hair, if you don't have a strong health to beneffit?!?...

Anarch

Established Member
Reaction score
47thin said:
I use it, and my hair keeps getting thinner.

We will hardly know if anything works because of the way some people have success after a major shed…which can be construed as failure. The nature of the beast.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Equol sends it down in flames! hehe :)

But erm.. beta-sit.. yes some people use it and claim it helps. I don't really know fully what it does. It either inhibits 5ar or blocks receptors, I'm unsure which o_O

Hoppi