Big 3 and minoxidil application - Advice please!

t4nk86

Reaction score
NW2/3 starting big 3 - Updates as things change!

First post after 'cruising' the forums for a while!

Firstly, let me explain my current position. I've been slowly losing my beloved hair for roughly 2 and a half years; started with wispy/thinner hairs on the left of my front hair line and slowly progressed to between a NW2 and 3. I am quite thin at the front and you can see quite a fair bit of skin through the hair. At first I didn't think anything of it because I wasn't aware of any family history of male pattern baldness... I was wrong! Both grandpops had lost pretty much all hair by the age of 30 so at 26 (27 in 3 weeks) I'm either doing relatively well or I should expect some serious shedding in the next few years. Over the summer I got sunburn through my hair for the first time ever which was the trigger to do something about it. As above, I've been cruising for a while and come across the 'big 3' so decided that it's the route I'm going to head down.

Current regimen:

Finasteride (fincar) - 1.25mg per day.
Minoxidil (Kirkland foam/liquid) - Foam in the the morning, liquid at night.
Nizoral 2% - 2 x weekly.

My question is (well more than one), should I apply minoxidil to areas that I'm not currently losing hair? My thoughts are that because I'm taking finasteride, I should keep hair on those parts. I wouldn't want to over do it with minoxidil and risk shedding healthy hair.

Also, would any of you say that it's a good idea to go straight in with the big 3? Or would you recommend starting with one at a time and slowly (if required) introducing the other?

Thanks in advance! :)

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
If I was in your position, I would start with finasteride and Nizoral first for like 6 months. Depending on if I experience any regrowth, I would start minoxidil. No point in starting it if finasteride brings you back to a level you accept.

t4nk86

Reaction score
I was under the impression that finasteride alone would mainly keep remaining hair rather than grow lost hair hair? I've been in a mild panicked state for quite some time.. It's nice to feel slightly positive for a change, even with the chance it might not work!

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
Shedding hair is actually a good sign, because you'll shed the 'unhealthy' hair and new hairs will grow. So apply it to all areas which are affected by male pattern baldness.. :)
Good luck with your regimen!!

t4nk86

Reaction score
So to keep a proper track of progress I thought it best to take pictures (apologies for them being sideways and of poor quality!) as I go, probably monthly as to not panic over lack of progress. No doubt I'll be checking almost daily anyway! The left temple is worse than the right and it's quite obvious from the pictures. I've only just realised that the crown has started to show signs too!! I've kept my hair relatively long so to hide the fact I'm thinning which actually works quite well. I don't think the pictures show how thin I am. I'm thinking of having it cut shorter so that I can keep a better eye on it, but I'm not sure. Progress is progress whether my hair is longer or shorter.

Crown.jpgFront.jpgLeft.jpgRight.jpg

I've only been on the 'big 3' for a week now and thought I'd report my initial findings:

I like the way the nizoral seems to thicken almost instantaneously... At least I think it does! Might be wishful thinking?

Nothing to report as far as finasteride goes, no ball ache as has been reported with others. No loss of libido although if anything I'd say that I have a slightly increased sex drive; probably the free test I have lurking around. I'm going to try and not think about it all that much (other than right now as I type!) so that I don't have 'phantom' sides.

I know that CursedMen said to only go for finasteride to see what results I get from that alone but I've kept with minoxidil as I've already bought and been using it. Sincere apologies for asking for advice and then not taking it. I'm using the Kirkland liquid at night and foam in the morning after reading others reporting that the liquid leaves hair a little greasy; I can confirm that it does. I find that my hair is still limp and a little greasy in the morning. Not helped by the fact my hair is long(ish) I expect. I kinda like the way the foam leaves my hair; seems to give it a little more life? I find that I need less hair product and that it seems to now hold all day. Other than that, it's too early to report anything else.

So all in all I'm happy so far and keeping my fingers crossed for good results! I'll keep you posted!

P.s, how do I get the thread title changed?

t4nk86

Reaction score
Not sure if it's the minoxidil or not but I seem to have a bit of an itchy scalp today, I'm hope it's just coincidence! I'll see what happens over the next few days and decide what to do from there; possibly change to once a day for a while. I've also noticed a few more hairs coming out when I run my hand through my hair. Again, it might be coincidence since I'm paying more attention.

Still positive!