Bigentries story

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
As I'm planning to make a huge change on my hair loss regimen I thought it would be a good time to bring up my story

I'm in my middle twenties, and probably started to lose hair at 22.

I always had a huge forehead and a big hair swirl growing up, while I remember jokes about them, it was never a big issue for me, as I have suffered from years of chronic depression, it has never been about my hair.

My first encounter with hair loss was with my father. I was young when he started to lose hair in his late 30's. My father has never taken care of his image, or cared what other think about him, but I noticed how hair loss... I would not say it affected him, but he really disliked it.
He doesn't believe in western medicine, so until this day he still uses those cheap chilli and placenta shampoos. While he has offered them to me, I have another mentality, they have probably done nothing but he still keeps all his frontal hair, he just has a huge crown bald spot like Zidane's.

I first started to worry about my own hair when I was 20. I had long hair back then, and all the hairs I found everywhere started to bother me. My mother was worried I was losing hair, so she bought me some "anti-inflammatory" vials. Looking back then, I wasn't really losing hair, it was just the long hair.

I first started to notice things were not as they used to two years later when I decided to cut my hair again. I noticed my old hair style didn't looked the same, and I had to comb my hair forward to make it look OK.
At that time I didn't know about hair loss, like the majority of people, I used to believe you started to go bald from the crown, so my receding hairline didn't made me believe I was going bald.

I did nothing for almost two years, until people's comments started to become more common. At first I just explained them I've always had a huge forehead, but slowly I started to realize my hairline was receding, and styling my hair was becoming more difficult.

When I decided to investigate, I didn't want nothing to do with minoxidil or finasteride. My first hair loss regimen consisted of just two vitamins that were being praised in a hair loss forum. Now that I remember, it was a really sad scene looking for help with vitamins.
I continued like this, starting to worry more when I noticed my laterals were disappearing , and my sideburns and hair around the ear started to thin like crazy.

A comment from a girl I used to like about my hair just made me decide to go for minoxidil almost two years ago.
I was only a month with Classic Rogaine, but it made my skin flake and people started to notice it, so I changed to Rogaine foam and it stopped.
Tried it for over a year with no results, and my laterals growing thinner and thinner.
I decided not to quit, but just buzz my hair to 0 to deal with the pain. It took me a long time to get the courage to do it, as I never had my hair that short.
Surprisingly it was much easier than I thought it would be, while there were some jokes, I didn't felt persecuted or anything. As I was feeling so good, I decided it would be my hairstyle for life. But as I was still applying minoxidil, I wanted to see if my hair looked better. It didn't, and the fear of buzzing my hair returned so I haven't cut my hair short.

Some months after I noticed that the hair thinning in my laterals worsened and it also jumped to my frontal hairline.
I started to use finasteride by myself five months ago.
Huge shedding followed, and has only stopped in quantity a few weeks ago.
Concern about self-medication made my parents ask me to get professional help about three months ago.
So I went to a local dermatologist who was against me using propecia. I disagreed so he gave me my prescription and asked me to use one of their own laboratory topicals also.
They didn't told me what they exactly were, one was just vitamins (I believe just vitamin E) and the other was a higher concentrated minoxidil and "some other things".
I didn't wanted to use them but I followed my mother's advice and just gave them a try.

I don't know if I should be happy or not, but new hairs started to grow on my hairline, they are not cosmetically important, but I'm starting to see some results.
The problem is, I don't know if finasteride caused it, or it was the concentrated minoxidil.
I don't feel good using something I don't know what is made of to keep my hair, so I just decided to quit the topicals and just continue to use finasteride while getting my prescription from a general doctor.
Will the hairs start to fall? Only time will tell.

Sorry about the long post