Biotin - Which brand should I buy?

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi.

Recently some say it's good for hair growth.
Contains Vitamin H & B?

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score
frontal said:
Cassin said:
I always go for big name brands

Such as?

Some big names are NOW, Jarrow, whatever is at GNC...Most brands should be fine.

It's not like Biotin is a herb or plant supplement or anything, which I wouldn't trust to random, no-name brands.

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks.

This ok?

pGNC1-4391153dt.jpg

notlikethis

Reaction score
elvis123 said:
tbh, biotin supplements are useless

I second this I think Biotin and other B complex made my hair situation worse or maybe thats just cause I didnt stick to it for six months but my hair was falling faster with this stuff

good luck

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
There's no medical evidence that Biotin supplementation can be of any help in alopecia, apart from in case of severe Biotin deficiency, which in the modern diet is almost impossible. However a good B-complex supplement is a good idea in terms of general help.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
vauxall said:
There's no medical evidence that Biotin supplementation can be of any help in alopecia, apart from in case of severe Biotin deficiency, which in the modern diet is almost impossible.

But there _is_ such medical evidence, although whether or not you choose to believe it is another issue:

Authors: Floersheim GL.
Institution: Dermatologie FMH, Rennweg 15,CH-4052 Basel; Switzerland.
Title: "An examination of the effect of biotin on alopecia and hair quality"
Source: Zeitschrift fur Hautkrankheiten. Vol 67(3) (pp 246-252+255), 1992.

Abstract: "The effect of a daily oral dose of 2.5 mg biotin was studied in 93 patients with the symptoms hair-loss (mostly androgenetic alopecia) and reduced hair quality. The mean duration of treatment was 7.9 +/- 2.8 months. An obvious improvement of hair-loss was reported in 64%, and a slight improvement in 9%. Hair quality was clearly improved in 70% and slightly in 12%. Brittle finger nails as an additional complaint were improved in 80%. If alopecia, decreased hair quality and brittle finger nails occurred in combination, improvement was observed frequently collectively. The study allows - as already shown in a previous investigation concerning brittle finger nails - to suggest biotin as an effective and well tolerated therapy in cases of alopecia and decreased hair quality."

beaner

Reaction score
Thanks for that study. I never knew such a study existed, but I always felt my hair was better when taking biotin and without a doubt it improved the quality of my fingernails.

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Speaking about finger nails...what exactly would it do?

but What about Today

Established Member
Reaction score
Biosil

I'm gonna start taking Cellfood Silica

I wrote this thinking, boisil mite have boitin in it lol, i was being stupid for a sec. Nwayz biosil is the ish, o and it does make your anils grow faster

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As long as Biosil contains similar vitamins as Biotin...maybe.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
vauxall said:
There's no medical evidence that Biotin supplementation can be of any help in alopecia, apart from in case of severe Biotin deficiency, which in the modern diet is almost impossible.

But there _is_ such medical evidence, although whether or not you choose to believe it is another issue:

Abstract: "The effect of a daily oral dose of 2.5 mg biotin was studied in 93 patients with the symptoms hair-loss (mostly androgenetic alopecia) and reduced hair quality. The mean duration of treatment was 7.9 +/- 2.8 months. An obvious improvement of hair-loss was reported in 64%, and a slight improvement in 9%. Hair quality was clearly improved in 70% and slightly in 12%. Brittle finger nails as an additional complaint were improved in 80%. If alopecia, decreased hair quality and brittle finger nails occurred in combination, improvement was observed frequently collectively. The study allows - as already shown in a previous investigation concerning brittle finger nails - to suggest biotin as an effective and well tolerated therapy in cases of alopecia and decreased hair quality."

Couldn't find that study on either Pubmed or Google Scholar, but I found the text on some other hairloss forums. Can you give me the direct link?

ali777

Reaction score
Bryan said:
vauxall said:

There is a bit of a misunderstanding here. Giving Biotin to people with decreased hair quality would obviously have a positive effect, I've heard this from many people. However, it is not a treatment for male pattern baldness for someone with healthy hair.

I believe my hair quality has improved, but I can't see any increase in the hair count or thickening of the thin hairs in my hairline.

but What about Today said:
I'm gonna start taking Cellfood Silica

I've been taking silica for almost a year. The pills I use have 15mg of zinc in them as well. I don't know what silica does to my hair, but the zinc definitely increases my libido. TBH, I mostly take it for its "side effects" :whistle:.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
vauxall said:

Bryan...If I looked hard enough I bet you I could find a study saying that picking toe jam and eating it will benefit hair loss....

The fact is, biotin, and all other types of vitamins and minerals are probably good for your hair, but I highly doubt it will have any sort of effect on actual hair loss unless you are severely deficient from it.

Taking biotin will not alter your genetic predisposition, it may make your hair softer and silkier, but you will still go bald.

If you want something that may actually help, try taking herbal supplements.

ali777

Reaction score
elvis123 said:
Bryan...If I looked hard enough I bet you I could find a study saying that picking toe jam and eating it will benefit hair loss....

Although, it's possible to sell anything these days, it's not as simple as that. Publications are the bread and butter of the academic world, it's an extremely competitive environment. Internationally recognised reputable journals have very high standards. All articles are reviewed by at least 2 referees, the results must be reproducible, relevant, current, and statistically significant.

A lesser journal based in, for example, Afghanistan might accept to publish a study on the benefits of toe jam, but a medical expert would dismiss such an article as rubbish. The downside of all this is that the article might make it to the Internet and some people would believe what they read without questioning it.

The moral of the story is, if a study has been peer reviewed and published in a reputable journal, it's findings are very likely to be valid (the possibility of having manufactured data still exists). All other studies are manipulations for economic gains.