Bitterpill's Story - (22 on to 23, Slowly balding since 19)

dazedandconfused16

Reaction score
Hello all. First off, I have been visiting this site for the past couple years periodically looking for advice and just reading in general to see that I am not alone in this shitty predicament. I unfortunately don't have any pictures at the moment, but can tell you that both my father and older brother are between NW5-6. The gene seems fairly prevalent and I have been slowly diffuse thinning with my temples receding. I USED to have really thick hair which I guess has allowed me to hold off having to buzz my head so far...I still manage to style it although its becoming more covering rather than styling, but still not many people have noticed. again so far....But I have been taking Propecia on and off for the past 3 years now and do think that it has at least made this depressing process take longer if anything. I have gone off a few times because I either got tired of my erections being soft or whatever. I have recently started taking it again in the hopes of holding off on really balding for as long as I can. I will try and take some pics because I know people won't accept my story as legitimate until they see pictures, it's just really hard sometimes seeing pictures and accepting the oncoming reality of it all.
I wanted to ask for anyone out there who has gone through balding in his early 20s if they could offer any advice to younger guys like us? I feel my mind has been opened to this sort of depression and obsession with balding since I first noticed my hair falling out and it really gets me down. Any suggestions on ways to get through this stage of difficulty/life? Again don't assume I am not balding because I can tell you that I would not bother being on this site if I was crying wolf. Thanks guys

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 22 on to 23, Slowly balding since 19

Hey, You are definitely not alone this. I started having this balding issues when I was 18 or 19. Couldn't really remember exactly though. Similar to you, my dad and his brothers are pretty much bald men. hahaha :woot: So I think it's just a matter of time that I would get that.

I joined this forum, probably about 5 years ago. that was when I was 20 and I am already 25 this year. To put it together it's a total 7 years of balding for me. When I first embarked on the Big 3, I was positive that I could regain some hair back, and so it did. But after about 5 months, the effect of Propecia started to wear off for me. However, I still take them, in the hope that I am able to maintain whatever I have right now :punk:

There is no need to feel depress over losing hair. It will catch on to you (most guys) in the matter of time. I know it's hard to accept this fact because I couldn't either. Slowly accept it, try your best bro!

dazedandconfused16

Reaction score

thanks man, I really appreciate the response. I know there are a lot of us out there, but it's still pretty hard to accept especially right now. so the big three didn't end up doing too much for you? I have been using Nizoral as well, I haven't gone on to Rogaine cuz I don't want to deal with the daily and nightly applications and the shedding...but I may end up at least giving it a go sooner or later. Are you at a point where you feel comfortable going out and what not?

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score

I got a regrowth in just 4 months of using the Big 3. It lasted me for almost a year. That was the time I felt like I was RE-born :woot: You can try them out. However, do beware that some of the side effects like itchy scalp after applying minoxidil, or even the possible lost of libido (which I'm not sure why some people attribute it to the side effect of taking propecia).

Do read up some of the posts people have posted.

You can start your regime. Take a photo once a month or quarterly for comparison. That's something that most people on this forum do.

I'm at the shedding phase right now, I supposed, because I see more hair drops lately. But I'm positive that I will get them back again in months time! hahaha. The condition right now is pretty terrible I must say. Just feel positive that I'm doing something to tackle it, and not just leaving it like that.

I'm good and comfortable going out in my current condition. I mean most of my friends do know that I have this hair loss issues for years. While they do make jokes out of it once in a while, I'm pretty much more accepting as I get older :p (note: keep your hair short, otherwise You will look weird if you're trying to do a comb-over, just my opinion :innocent: )

If you don't accept this fact, you'll get very sensitive at comments people might throw at you. I understand why you're asking me that because I had been at that phase before especially for us, who started losing hair in 18 or 19.

Cheers

dazedandconfused16

Reaction score
Glad to see you're doing something about maintaining your hair. If anything I feel like it helps mentally to know that you're doing what you can for your hair rather than just letting it be, like you said. It's also cool that you're at a point that you can just take comments about your hair and laugh them off. Im sure that will be hard for me when the time comes, but eventually im sure ill get to the point you're at in terms of acceptance/confidence. If you don't mind my asking, how are things with the ladies? Have you gotten to a point where you feel confident approaching new girls and stuff like that? I'm interested to know if you're willing to respond about that. You also mentioned loss of libido...from minoxidil???

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
Nope. I don't mean the side effect is from minoxidil, but it's more from Propecia. I just thought you should be aware of this. Not all people get that side effect.

Well yeah, that issue with ladies. :woot: I was quite perturbed by that too. I mean it nearly cost me to lose my steady relationship. I've been with this girl for 6 years already. now that I think of it, I handled it rather badly back then. I just need sometime off to get used to the fact that I'm balding. hahaha. anyway, I am engaged right now so the problem with the ladies do not really upset me now. I must say I'm quite lucky in that sense.

I don't know whether I have the right to say this, but I urge you to settle your 'internal turmoil' first. this hairloss thing seems to hit your very hard

cheers bro.