Bjl51's Story - ( 25 ) Starting the BIG 3 - BASELINE PICS

bjl51

Reaction score
I'm 25 and I just began seriously addressing my hair thinning. I probably started with a receding hairline around 21 without any thinning. At 24 is when I first felt the thinning on top of my head a little because I got a sun burn while at the beach with my hair spiked. I even got a comment from my mother so I knew it was time to start some sort of treatment.

I began some different treatments around fall of 08. In the past I have used p-r-o-c-e-r-i-n (both bills and serum for 4 months). Nutrifolica (hair serum and shampoo/conditioner). You can see I was trying the natural way but with no positive affect.

I recently just began Propecia 1mg and Nizoral 2% shampoo. I am also waiting for a shipment of Rogane foam and will start that once I get that. So its the BIG 3 that will hopefully help me in my quest to get some of my hair back and keep it. I also use Nioxin system 1 shampoo and condition when I'm not using Nizoral. I do take several vitamins such as: MSM, Vitamin C, Daily Vitamin(Biotin,Boron, Zinc), Choline & Inosital, Saw Palmetto,...etc and a NO2 supplement to increase blood flow.

I really like the website for support and inspiration. I look forward to any comments you may have. Any advise will be helpful.

See baseline pictures here:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/profiles/bjl51/albums/94

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Re: Bjl51 Story - ( 25/Starting BIG 3)

Hi, it's good to see you posting over here as well. Stick with the treatments and remember to give them at least 6 months but probably closer to a year to see improvement. Also search the Success Story section and see how others responded to their treatments. Again thanks for joining and good luck.

bjl51

Reaction score
Re: Bjl51 Story - ( 25 / Starting the BIG 3)

Thanks I thought I would try and get my story out there and see if there was any more advise people could give me. Does anyone really know the proper amount of times a week to use Nizoral 2% shampoo? I going with a mon, wed, fri 3 times a week but wasn't sure. I do plan on using the BIG 3 for a year and on.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Re: Bjl51 Story - ( 25 / Starting the BIG 3) BASELINE PICS

That's how I use Nizoral, 3 times per week. You will be getting alot of responses and again glad to see you here.

A

Administrator

Re: Bjl51 Story - ( 25 / Starting the BIG 3) BASELINE PICS

Yeah guys click his link and you can leave comments over there under the pics, or respond here.

I still say this guy's hair looks exactly like "Martin" who we had on the old site. I need to get his stuff online again.

bjl51

Reaction score
I did have a question regarding Finpecia (Generic Propecia). I currently have a one month prescription to the real Propecia which cost me $81 for a month. I know about proscar diving pills but my doctor isn't into that approach. Would Finpecia be an ok alternative? I'm looking to get it from United Pharmacies from Cipla in India its about 40 cents a pill and a lot more in my price range for long term use. Let me know what you think?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
why not use fincar?

it's made by Cipla and you would get four times the amount

just a suggestion

finpecia is fine to use but the ingredient is the same (finasteride)

Fincar would be even lighter on the pocket

cheers mate

bjl51

Reaction score
Yeah I guess Fincar would work fine that's a good idea.

So I would try and break each pill into 5?

To get the 1mg, does a bill cutter do this easily?

I'm not sure if that would be the best way or not.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
fourths is easier IMO

i just take a razor blade and cut a pill every 4 days

its good to keep your cut pills in an airtight container away from sunlight

hope this helps

good luck mate

cheers

bjl51

Reaction score
Thanks for the help with the Fincar. I just ordered 3 strips of Fincar (30 Tablets).

I read some concerning news about Nizoral Shampoo 2% on THIS website under the product reviews. Here is a direct quote:

"While it may feed your need to calm your concerns to shoot for the 2% prescription form, the over the counter 1% is completely sufficient, and will not have any adverse effects. The 2% form is not necessary and may not be good for your liver over time."

Has anyone hear of this long term side effects to the liver using 2%?

I have a prescription for Nizoral 2% but if there is no real difference between it and the 1% and 2% has long term sides I might consider switching back to 1%.

Let me know what you guys think.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
the nizoral does not get systemically absorbed

i think ingesting keto can cause problems

think about it
why would 1% be ok and 2% not

IMO the 2% is better but others would tell you 1% is fine

cheers mate

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
The only problem I had with the 2% is that it REALLY dired my hair more. The 1% has worked great for me over the 5 years I used it.

bjl51

Reaction score
I think I'm going to stick to with 2% for now and see how it works for me.

Have any of you guys heard that drinking grapefruit juice helps with the absorption of finasteride?

I read that somewhere and wanted to see if there was any truth to it.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
yeah i just started

the pros you get from it might not be worth the cost of the grapefruit juice though
you should use processed juice and not fresh juice

the white grapefruit juice is best and it is suppose to allow for better absorption

seaback said:
Very quickly, yes, it is supposed to increase your finasteride serum level. When you swallow your finasteride pill your body assimilates 60% of the finasteride only, because of this first-pass metabolism which occurs in your bowel and which is mainly caused by the CYP3A4 enzyme complex. It's like a defense your body has against all the stuff which come from your environment and you can ingest. It turns chemicals into less potent forms which are less likely to damage your system. So, by switching off this enzyme, your finasteride is not metabolized in your bowel and goes directly into your blood. So, that means you're gonna benefit from (almost) 100% of the finasteride you've taken.

IMO i dont think it would hurt to try it
you really have nothing to lose

cheers mate

bjl51

Reaction score
I just got my 3 month supply of Rogaine foam in the mail today.

I'm going to apply it for the first time tonight.

Any advise on applying?

I'm trying to regrow hair on the top of my head and recover what I can on my receding hairline.

bjl51

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like we are both pretty much in the same boat with starting the Rogaine foam..

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
i think its good if you chill your hands before putting the foam in your hand

i use an ice pack to chill mine before applying the foam

just a suggestion

cheers mate

bjl51

Reaction score
Yeah I put some cold water in the sink and held my hand in it to chill before applying. It seems to work well.

The smell isn't bad at all I can barely tell. Some people must be very picky with the smell.

Deathcab

Reaction score
For me the smell of the foam is very strong. I seem to notice it all the time. Also, Im applying the foam along my hairline and temples, so I have to use more then the recommended amount. But everything seems to be going good so far.

Deathcab