blee7370's story with pics

blee7370

Reaction score
Hi.. Well i've finally decided to post my story.

I just turned 21. Asian male with diffuse thinning SIGH. I first noticed my hair loss at around 20 (june) when i stopped using gel because my hair was getting too thin. It still looked ok though and so I thought nothing of it. By august I got a hair cut and my left temple had receeded quite abit as well as general thinning of the frontal area.
Everyone at work pretty much asked me if I was balding from that day.

which prompted me to see a doctor about it. Took the usual blood tests which all came back normal. He referred me to a dermatologist which I as I was still in the denial stage of hair loss.

Time went by and by around january my hair was looking normal. I remember a friend saying to me "i thought u were balding, looks much better now". At this stage I had done nothing about my hair loss. I had even stopped rogaine months ago.

This is a photo of me in January 07: Although my hair was not perfect it was acceptable

Photo-0084.jpg

Then time went on.. I didn't really notice but by about end of march my hair was ridiculous. completely unmanageable even when dry. I then went and saw a dermotologist prescribed me propecia. Started propecia 10th april 07 nizoral 1%, and rogaine 5% liquid (only on the frontal sections)

At this stage loss was only at the front. My crown/vertex was fine.

I got around to taking photo's on the 2nd of MAY 07:
Mtop.jpg

Right
Mright.jpg

Left
Mleft.jpg

front
Mfront.jpg

Crown
Mcrown.jpg

As you can see. my crown had started opening up. I assumed that it was propecia's doing as i was not balding there before at all.. and i do not use rogaine there.

These are the new photo's.. taken 19 june 07 (please note I have not yet taken a hair cut yet so it is longer than previous photos, I have also brushed the hair to one side to expose the balding areas)

top1.jpg

Jright.jpg

JLEFT.jpg

FRONT.jpg

crown.jpg

blee7370

Reaction score
I need advice.. after being on the big 3 for almost 3 months I've seen nothing but a decline.

since this time i've started using rogaine religiously but i think its making the situation worse? The parts where I use rogaine are the parts where my hair has thinned immensly?

There is thinning now in the red spots which i've marked in this picture (it is hard to tell as i have hair covering those spots. Where the section inbetween is still pretty thick.

top1q.jpg

This type of recession doesnt follow the norwood scale? When i rubb minoxidil into my temples i rubb it backwards which is the parts marked in red.

Is minoxidil not for me? It does make my scalp very itchy and irritated.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
your hairloss seems to be rather aggressive, have you checked your thyroid, kidney yet? You seemed to lose a lot of ground in such a short period.

The front is receeding fast while the crown still looks okey. (its thin but still acceptable)

blee7370

Reaction score
yeah.. i've been for blood tests.. twice actually..

I'm beginning to believe that its only the places where i put rogaine that I've gone bald in..

The right side used to be ok.. now its getting real thin.. and its stretched all the way half way back on my head.

Do you guys recommend getting off it?

I thought it might be a shed only and to ride it out.. but its pretty dam aggressive...

HairMe

Reaction score
keep using propecia and rogaine. use this 2 combo for best results...
how long have you been taking propecia?

blee7370

Reaction score
yeah but not every1 is the same.. im still skeptical about rogaine but am too scared to get off it incase it just gets worse.

The reason of my skepticism is because:
When i first started using rogaine i only used it on the left temple as my hair loss only seemed to be localised there. It has gotten progressively worse on that side.

I stopped after about a month of applying it.

After seeing the dermatologist and him recommending i try these two treatments properly I began using rogaine on my left side, and my right.. and when i apply i rubbed it further.

Now those areas are really thin as can be seen in the pics.

There ARE small velus hairs on the left side now.. but it is no where near good enough and overall that entire area has thinned out.

I've been on propecia for almost 3 months.

barcafan

Reaction score
STAY ON THE BIG THREE, trust me you'll f*****g thank yourself that you did.

Big three being propecia/nizoral/minoxidil.

At the very least you *should* maintain (If it's male pattern baldness) and regrowth is very likely as well.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
barcafan said:
STAY ON THE BIG THREE, trust me you'll f****ing thank yourself that you did.

Big three being propecia/nizoral/minoxidil.

At the very least you *should* maintain (If it's male pattern baldness) and regrowth is very likely as well.

I agree with barcafan totally.

However I suggest you do a full body check out to find out if it was caused by male pattern baldness first. Just my .02

blee7370

Reaction score
I have already done blood tests twice actually.. both have come back clean

I've stopped rogaine (still on finasteride) for 1 day and already my scalp feels free .. free from the itch and sensitivity of rogaine.. The slightest breeze through my hair before when i was using rogaine would irritate it as the scalp skin was hypersensitive

now when i run my hands through my hair nothing comes out.

When i shower hair still comes out but defintely less. I will trial staying off rogaine for 1 week to see if this keeps up.

My skin has never been the best.. maybe minoxidil is too much for me. Either way.. im still staying on finasteride and nizoral. Its not like im giving up the fight just yet :)

Also, Does anyone know where to buy LOreal thickening shampoo for men in australia? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thankyou, Ben.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Your crown/vertex may continue to thin for several weeks/months after starting Propecia. You'll need to realize that even though you're starting Propecia now, it may be too late for some of the hair and the hair may fall out and never come back. There's also this reflex hyperandrogenicity that some people see that may actually speed up hair loss for a short period of time, but I believe that hair just comes back. Symptoms include acne, oiliness, and increased libido and/or ejaculate. Check the forums for more info on it.

It could also bee telogen effluvium induced by the Propecia. If this is the case, I believe most of the hair should grow back. The hair will come back within 6-12 months. You could try to speed up the hair growth by taking MSM with Ester-C.

In all, I would wait a full year of being on Propecia to decide if it's for you or not. If your hair loss is too aggressive for Propecia, you can either try using dutasteride or just taking the blade to it. I hear the latter is relaxing... but it's not for everyone.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Foam works for me... I did go through a period of terrible shedding before I could see any regrow. I say you give minoxidil couple more months to see if it works for you.

You're on finasteride now, I hope it will thicken up your existing hair.

beernuts_123

Reaction score
Hey there blee,

I buy my L'Oreal Thickening Shampoos at Walmart.

I've had experience with both the Shampoo and 2 in 1, and I personally think that the Shampoo has more power. (Though it may be a simple illusion of the unconditioned hair)

Best of luck!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
beernuts_123 said:
Hey there blee,

I buy my L'Oreal Thickening Shampoos at Walmart.

I've had experience with both the Shampoo and 2 in 1, and I personally think that the Shampoo has more power. (Though it may be a simple illusion of the unconditioned hair)

Best of luck!

The shampoo wont cure the problem, its just giving you a fuller thicker look of your hair. It's the XY thickening shampoo, I use it before I go out chassing ***'s lol