Blondilocks's story - (Age 21,Side Effects = Story)

Blondilocks

Established Member
Reaction score
1. I'm 21 now and my frontal hairline has moved back with my temples recession gradually from the age of 16
2. I have experienced/noticed the temples thinning in a pattern that’s going to leave me with an island at the front in the last 6 months
2. I Started Propecia mid January but have been off Propecia for 2 weeks because i developed side effects.
3. Used Rogaine off on and on and developed an itchy oily scalp and massive loss of hair.

I'm prescribed propecia by my pharmacist (Boots) which does a 'hair retention scheme' at the 3 month marker appointment I told her the following:

Painful ejaculation (Main cause for concern)
Redness inflamed penis (Next main worry)
Loss of Libido
Weird aches and pains from the penis/testes

Procedure meant that i had to come off propecia because i was reporting side effects because all have developed on the 3 months since taking the pills. She filled in a drug complaint form which has been sent to Merck.

However she told me she didn’t believe it was the drug and that it was an unrelated issue and her first thought was that I had an STI, however i knew this was likely to be the response i would get so I had already gone and got screened twice giving me the all clear. She then rang my doctor to inform him and arrange a special appointment.
I went to the Appointment and found my Doctor was very understanding but he told me straight away he was very sure it was nothing to do with the drug and that he and the pharmacist believed it was just a coincidence that these symptoms had developed at the same time.

My symptoms all fit with something known as prostatis but again he didn’t believe that the drug had triggered the prostatis as apparently finestrade is used to treat the prostate. His next procedure was a prostate examination, to which he found the prostate mildly inflamed with a groove in it? He had no real answer to that. However he really did not seem concerned that this was anything major the whole time. He prescribed CIPRO a heavy duty Antibiotic, and now im waiting to see him again.

In the mean time all the symptoms have gone

No painful ejaculation, Massive boom in libido, redness caused by inflammation has gone down so it doesnt look like someone has strangled it and aches and weird discomfort have all gone.

However because the doctor and pharmacist took me off the propecia and within a week started cipro its hard to know what’s done what?

If its the CIPRO then perhaps i could restart Propecia and save my hair.
If its the Propecia can someone please help me with a simple and cheap regimen that is second best to not being able to take propecia, i was thinking of Regaine foam. Have read up on 'Firsts' 2 month success story with his complex regimen but a lot of work an time goes into such a programme and I cant afford all that.

Thank you

heretohelp

Reaction score
i think u should go back on the propecia or try 1/4 of a proscar tablet daily (same active ingredient ,finesteride, but u never know may not cause the side effects) anyway if thr side effects do return when u go back on it then it probably is because of it ,however not to worry the side effects are not perminent and should go in a couple of weeks. u should also start taking minoxidil (rogsine 5% foam) and apply it to the effected areas including the frontal hairline. dont listen to reports that it only works on the crown ,i use finasteride (proscar) and minoxidil on both crown and frontal hairline and have seen great results . also use nizoral 2% shampoo to help clean the scalp and give the perfect conditions for the other two to work. its really good that u have already started early as this way you can regrow and save the maximum amount of hair. also wouldnt hurt to go see a doctor or respected hair transplant surgeon for advice just to make sure .

hope this helps dude.

Blondilocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments i reckon im going to order some foam, if anyone has any reputable sites i could get it from that would be greatly appreciated.

For anyone that has/had similar side effects im glad to report after finishing my 10 day cipro treatment, all side effects have all cleared up.

1. No more painful ejaculation
2. Soar in Libido
3. Cant keep the ole boy down never known so many spontaneous woods
4. No more weird pains complete restoration of feeling

However its hard to say whether this was the cipro or just finishing the propecia?

For my check up i had a different doctor who was not understanding of the situation, and couldnt understand why i would use the drug and told me that out of 100 doctors none would suggest the use finestrade for hair loss! and told me to just accept it as natures path.

Obvisouly i'm glad all my syptoms have cleared up as having read Propeciahelp.com i got very scared. The one thing i liked about propecia was that by taking propecia i felt like i could let go of my worry because i believed i was reversing the problem. But now im hesistant to even bother with the regaine because everyone says its only worth seeing in conjunction with propecia. I'm trying everyday to accept that i will be bald and to accept it because i feel that this is the healthiest way forward. I'm not sure whether i should try splitting the propecia into 1/4 as appearently it has a flat rate response.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
I strongly advice against going back to finasteride. I too had sides but was stupid enough to try to "ride them out" as most ppl on this forum adviced me to. Result is I'm still not fully recovered after being 2 yrs completely off finasteride. But hey, at the end of the day it's your decision.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
finasteride is what you always hear about, so it'll be interesting to read about your experience with alternatives.

Good luck with that. This thread was started in 08, I doubt he is coming back to post update pics. I am sure his experience with alternatives is the same as everybody elses...further hair loss.