Blood test after 1yr on RU - changed liver value!!!

LostHope

Reaction score
Benn on RU ( ~ 25mg/d 70/30 and 50/50 Ethanol/PPG vehicle ) for over 1yr
now. Current blood test shows one liver enzyme to be severely out of range now. It is AP = alkaline phosphatase. If too high it is a strong indicator for severe liver damage, cancer or bone cancer???
In my case it did not increase - THANK GOD - but it decreased and it is severely too low now.
They don't know why and want to do examination on me.
In females this lowering effect is known to be linked to taking anit baby pill.
So there may be a link, as I knew I had absorption of RU into the blood and
build up of supposedly nilutamide...
Does anybody else on RU see this liver enzyme modification? Be aware that in many routine blood tests this value is not checked, despite it is an important marker....

LostHope

Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Do you take any other medication? Do you drink much?

No. The AP value would rise in this case. In my case it is much too low now....

So I should drink alcohol to bring AP on target - no bad idea :)

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Did you take a liver test before starting RU?

Why is this a bad thing? This is something I found by a surgen

Alkaline phosphatase is something that is released into the bloodstream by accident. It plays no role there. By the time it's detectable in the blood, it's a waste product. There is no role for looking at a low alk phos level and wanting it higher. That's like driving down the street and wishing that there was more garbage in people's trash cans.

Elevated alk phos levels are interesting in that when they are INCREASED, they indicate an increased activity in one of the two possible main locations where this enzyme originates, namely bone and in the bile ducts of the liver.

People who have problems within the biliary tract such as gallstone disease or bile duct cancer will tend to have elevated levels. People who are dealing with recent bony fractures or who have tumors growing inside of bone will also have elevated levels.

These are situations where the blood level of alk phos is a MARKER that indicates disease. Again, it's like driving by a house and seeing that the trash can is full out on the street. If you see that the trash can full, you at least know that people are living inside.

The same is true of alk phos. If you see an excess of it, you know that something is going on in one of the places it lives.

Stress fractures are comparatively small injuries to bone. In my opinion there's no need to look at some random blood lab and start to worry about the healing. Following alk phos levels gives you absolutely no useful information about this process.

In ANY BLOOD DRAW, it's very possible to have lab values that are outside of reference ranges even though there are NO PROBLEMS GOING ON. Reference ranges for lab values are what you get from drawing blood on people who aren't complaining of any problems (whether they HAVE problems or not is another question) and then amassing the statistical groupings. The "normal range" is where 95% of the people fall. This means that 5% of people fall outside this range even though NOTHING IS GOING ON.

What is normal FOR YOU may be on the low side of what is found in most other people.

Because of the fact that machines process blood samples and they group together a large number of measurements in a "panel", we often get lots of meaningless results along with the ones that are of interest. Alk phos happens to be a measurement that comes with the "complete monitoring panel" or "CMP". Doctors will order the CMP for a variety of reasons when one or several of the real measurements of interest are on that panel. Trouble arises, though, when there are abnormal labs on such a panel which are not related to the question at hand.

You're a victim of circumstance. This abnormal lab level means nothing. Unfortunately, it's made you worry. I hope you can relax a little better about this in the future.

LostHope

Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Did you take a liver test before starting RU?

Why is this a bad thing? This is something I found by a surgen

Alkaline phosphatase is something that is released into the bloodstream by accident. It plays no role there. By the time it's detectable in the blood, it's a waste product. There is no role for looking at a low alk phos level and wanting it higher. That's like driving down the street and wishing that there was more garbage in people's trash cans.

Elevated alk phos levels are interesting in that when they are INCREASED, they indicate an increased activity in one of the two possible main locations where this enzyme originates, namely bone and in the bile ducts of the liver.

People who have problems within the biliary tract such as gallstone disease or bile duct cancer will tend to have elevated levels. People who are dealing with recent bony fractures or who have tumors growing inside of bone will also have elevated levels.

These are situations where the blood level of alk phos is a MARKER that indicates disease. Again, it's like driving by a house and seeing that the trash can is full out on the street. If you see that the trash can full, you at least know that people are living inside.

The same is true of alk phos. If you see an excess of it, you know that something is going on in one of the places it lives.

Stress fractures are comparatively small injuries to bone. In my opinion there's no need to look at some random blood lab and start to worry about the healing. Following alk phos levels gives you absolutely no useful information about this process.

In ANY BLOOD DRAW, it's very possible to have lab values that are outside of reference ranges even though there are NO PROBLEMS GOING ON. Reference ranges for lab values are what you get from drawing blood on people who aren't complaining of any problems (whether they HAVE problems or not is another question) and then amassing the statistical groupings. The "normal range" is where 95% of the people fall. This means that 5% of people fall outside this range even though NOTHING IS GOING ON.

What is normal FOR YOU may be on the low side of what is found in most other people.

Because of the fact that machines process blood samples and they group together a large number of measurements in a "panel", we often get lots of meaningless results along with the ones that are of interest. Alk phos happens to be a measurement that comes with the "complete monitoring panel" or "CMP". Doctors will order the CMP for a variety of reasons when one or several of the real measurements of interest are on that panel. Trouble arises, though, when there are abnormal labs on such a panel which are not related to the question at hand.

You're a victim of circumstance. This abnormal lab level means nothing. Unfortunately, it's made you worry. I hope you can relax a little better about this in the future.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
thanx for sharing.

My doctor wants me to have another bloodtest for that at the end of this year.
I shall supplement zinc, magnesium and iron.

And of course I do STOP RU.

An yes, my before RU reference AP value as in target range.