Bloodbrother's Story (22 years old - suggestion/help)

Bloodbrother8

Reaction score
Hey everyone. The name is Rich, I'm 22 years old(will be in September, actually) and I'm in need of some advice/help/suggestion, anything really. It wasn't until I got a haircut about a week ago that I realized that I have been thinning quite a bit up top and near the crown. I usually grow my hair out quite a bit, then after a few months I get it cut pretty short and repeat. A little over a year ago at the barber is when I was first brought to attention of my thinning hair. The barber commented about some thinning in the front, and immediately my heart skipped because I didn't want to believe it. I'm still too young I thought. After that, I forgot about it as it didn't really seem like much, certainly wasn't noticeable. Here we a little over a year later and now it's to the point where I need to take drastic measures. I'm upset over this, trying not to let it get to me, but I hate that I had to get this at such an early age. I knew I would eventually have some hair loss, as my father and grandfather both have a receding hairline along with a bit of thinning up top, but they still have noticeable hair up top and it's nothing to really worry about. I would be completely fine looking like that, problem is that from how early it hit me, and how fast it's progressing, I don't think I'll make it out with much of any hair up top...and I'm just not ready for that to say the least

This past week I have been using google as often as I can to try and find anything about hairloss, read up on it, read up on tips to slow the process, etc. That is how I found this site and I'm glad I did. I just need some people to talk to who understand my situation. AT my age, I have NO friends who are dealing with this and it's quite embarrassing to even bring up to them, so thats why I'm here

Here are a few pics of what my hair currently looks like. Pics were taken August 19th and August 20th, 2009, so they are about as recent as can be

richman5.jpg

richman8.jpg

richhead3001.jpg

richhead001.jpg

my long hair must have really disguised this because I swear I didn't notice how bad it was until after I got the haircut. I still have a nice amount of cover when I move my hair around, but I would like to get on some sort of regimen that will help me with regrowth and maintaining what I currently have. PropeciaJunkie thought I should start out with 5% minoxidil along with Nizoral shampoo. Would that be a good start for me? Anybody else currently using that combo? If so, what results did you get? Also, as far as the Nizoral shampoo, do you use it more than twice a week like it says? What are everyday shampoos that I should use? I read that I should avoid shampoos with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in it. What are some shampoos/conditioners that you guys recommend? Am I asking too many questions? :)

Anyway, glad to be here and hopefully I can find something that works for me.

comp85

Reaction score
Your story is very similar to mine. I am 23 years old and like you my father and grandfathers and no one for that matter on either side of my family experienced hair loss until their 40's. I have a bit more frontal recession than you but its pretty similar. I tried all of those herbal products that were saw pallmeto based and used several different shampoos. All of them did nothing really to help. My recommendation is to use the only proven treatment for hair loss and that is propecia. I was scared to start it but I'm happy I did. I have been using propecia for 2 months now and it has done a great job so far even though I have yet to see the final result. Currently I am taking .5 mg because I got a bit of decrease in libido in the first couple of weeks on 1mg. Also I recently switched to finpecia because its ALOT cheaper. Good luck with everything. This has been devastating for me as I imagine it is for you too, but its nice to no that we live in a day and age where their are treatments out there.

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score
While being young and losing hair is a nightmare it also has a plus factor, it seems that the younger you are the better chance you will respond.

If i were you id get on finasteride and nizoral, id forget about minoxidil for now as its a bit of a pain to apply. popping a pill is easy.

Use nizoral 3 times per week.

i responded well to just finasteride and nizoral over a 1 year period, and only now am i using minoxidil.

good luck.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
another vote for propecia.

i'm 27, started when i was 25, and it has stopped further hair loss in its tracks. i also started using minoxidil foam and it couldn't be easier/quicker to apply. i only apply it once at night to the hair line. minoxidil isn't going to grow you any new hair (unless you are one of the lucky few) but in combo with propecia it will help maintain and thicken the hair you have.

i was never much of a fan of nizoral and still don't have much belief in it, unless you have some other scalp issue like inflammation etc.

good luck!

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
treeshrew said:
another vote for propecia.

i'm 27, started when i was 25, and it has stopped further hair loss in its tracks. i also started using minoxidil foam and it couldn't be easier/quicker to apply. i only apply it once at night to the hair line. minoxidil isn't going to grow you any new hair (unless you are one of the lucky few) but in combo with propecia it will help maintain and thicken the hair you have.

i was never much of a fan of nizoral and still don't have much belief in it, unless you have some other scalp issue like inflammation etc.

good luck!

Minoxidil will grow you hair no matter what. The amount varies. I find it very awkward to apply and I imagine this guy would too. It makes your hair look terrible at his length. Nizoral is excellent. Unfortuenatly, it takes a toll on the hair, which also at his length makes it look terrible. If you do shave or even just cut your hair a bit lower, it will help a lot.